• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Games

rwoods

:?:I'm looking for ideas for some simple and safe activities to do with a M35A3. I have about two dozen middle age guys and teenage boys coming over Sunday to experience driving a deuce. The instructor will be an active Tennessee NG Sergeant First Class with instructor certification. He will run them through the basics including an offroad run for a mile or so through an open field with hills. We also will have a short challenge course weaving through the woods, a small mud pit with a few small whoop-da-dohs, a log or two to drive over and possibly a "mine field" of balloons or watermelons to maneuver through. There will be no out of the cab passengers. I have several logs and round bales of hay that could be used for other activities as well as a rented tracked Bobcat to dig some holes and arrange obstacles. I can also borrow a paintball gun or two. Events must be fairly short in duration or spectator friendly to keep the crowd from getting bored. A timed event of some sort would be great so long as it is safe. The truck will likely be driven by some of these guys in future for church work so I'm not interested in anything that may inspire a false sense of confidence in the driver or damage the truck. The goal is to have fun and introduce some of the men to driving the deuce so we can select some for further training. I'm also not interested in any winch activities as I consider this too dangerous for a novice and for a spectator activity. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

On behalf of all the non-veteran members of SS, I give our heart-felt thanks to each veteran who has serve us and helped secure and maintain our freedom. Please enjoy the Fourth, we'll be saluting and thanking God for you.:grin:

Ron Woods

flmudder

sounds great , how about some exercises while backing up , with a ground guide . i e have them back up into some cones etc. have fun and stay safe :-D This is a great idea

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rwoods said:
On behalf of all the non-veteran members of SS, I give our heart-felt thanks to each veteran who has serve us and helped secure and maintain our freedom. Please enjoy the Fourth, we'll be saluting and thanking God for you.:grin:
I don't have any ideas for your activities, but I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement. It's those brave men and women who make it possible for us non military guys and gals to enjoy this great hobby. I hope everybody has a wonderful and safe Independence Day!!!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what to do.......military units often had drivers "rodeos" where drivers could show off their skills.

Your SFC might want to give a short Preventitive Maintainence Checks and Services (PMCS) class to acquaint the prospective operators on how to check oil and other fluids, operation of all controls (turn siginals, on off and fuel shut off switches, etc.). Also proper care and inflation of tires is a good idea with military equipment.
Sounds like a good time will be had by all.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One good exercise is to have a corner element made of two or four sheets of plywood (standing up). Mark a short length of lane and put the "corner" at the end, simulating a building, loading dock etc.

The objective is to back the truck into the "corner" as closely as one dares without hitting the plywood. It shows how aware you are of the length of your vehicle and also whether you remember that there is stuff sticking out at the rear of your truck that you cannot see in the mirrors.

Have a guy record the measurement from either side and add them together for total distance.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire changing. How to properly and safely raise, support the truck, remove the spare, check the inflation, R&I the spare and stow the "flat". It would suck to get out on the road and not know how to do that. See attached pic. That happened in the middle of the desert. There were 2 or 3 flats that trip, and there have been flats on about every trip since. I got one in Tehachapi!

Attachments

Armada

How about an exercise in vehicle cleanliness? :D With a couple hoses, some brushes, soap, buckets, and a group of guys, that baby will be clean in no time! [thumbzup]

powerhouseduece

Tire changing. How to properly and safely raise, support the truck, remove the spare, check the inflation, R&I the spare and stow the "flat". It would suck to get out on the road and not know how to do that. See attached pic. That happened in the middle of the desert. There were 2 or 3 flats that trip, and there have been flats on about every trip since. I got one in Tehachapi!

NASCAR pit crew challange? that would be funny, 2 groups, 2 trucks and see who can change a inner tire the fastest. Not just by a few pumps of the jack but they have to put it on a block before they can pull the tires.

rwoods

Thanks for all the replies. Here are some photos. 1 - LISTEN UP! (SFC A. Castle gives an orientation to the M35A3); 2 - LET'S GO. (headed out through the woods); 3 - KEEP IT BETWEEN THE FLAGS (Learning to follow instructions); 4 - OPEN FIELDS AHEAD. (Cross-country begins); 5 - FRESH AIR! (Headed home with cross ventilation). More to come. R Woods

Attachments

ChrisW72971

Is that swampers on that thing?? What size tires are they?? Did you need special rims?? Theres no longer 2 side by side in the rears??
Sorry newb here but will be getting a Deuce hopefully and I like them tires :-D

rwoods

More photos. 6 - WHY ARE WE STOPPING HERE? (Engage front axle and low range); 7 - NOW I SEE. (Approaching the first obstacle); 8 - SARGE, ARE YOU SURE WE'LL MAKE IT? (Sarge should know, he dug the hole); 9 - WHEELIE? (You got no proof); 10 - HOW ABOUT ME? (Still no proof); 11 - RIDES LIKE A CADILLAC! (Some actually follow instructions); 12- LIKE FATHER LIKE SON (SFC Castle and son, Chris); 13 - CLASS OF 09 (They all passed); 14 - HI, MOM. (They all grow up too quickly).

Lot of fun had by all. No damage either, although first driver tried to remove winch reservoir by running too fast into first obstacle.

R. Woods

Attachments

airmech3839

how bout use paint ball and have them drive course while passenger tries to take out targets ! timed and on precision. sounds like a hoot! Could be a blast! nother good one would be use water ballons and have passenger try and hit inside trash cans along course! time it and award prizes. make some cheap plauqes and give away 1st, 2nd and 3rd place!:-D

Then post pics!!

rwoods

Chris, you can't get much newer than me. I got this in late May. The tires are standard issue Michelin 14.5 R 20's. The rims are also standard A3 rims which are 11" x 20". These tires are in the 'super single' family which just means a single tire designed to replace dual tires. My pictures may have thrown you off. I had to replace all of the tires except the spare. After changing one, I decided to let the local Farmer's Coop do the rest. That is why the stone shields are not on the wheels and the rear CTIS plumbing is not installed (as well as why the tires are all mounted directionally - standard NG practice seems to be to mount all tires as if they are going on the right side which means the left side tires are actually mounted in a reverse direction). I hope to get it all back together soon so I can get it on the highway (the wheels each have a counterweight bolted to them to balance the plumbing and the stone shields so right now none of my wheels are even close to being balanced. Probably more information than you wanted. Thanks for your interest. R Woods

rwoods

Airmech, that sure would be fun. But SFC Castle put in a lot of seat time just running each one of these guys through his course and I didn't want to wear him out. He actually had one young man who had never driven a car or truck - not many can say their first drive was in a deuce.

I'm sure we'll have a another go at it. Several have already inquired about taking it to a local paintball facility.

R Woods

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks