• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Garwood winch, strip down and repair?

Vinpott

Evening all, afraid I don't own a deuce but I have purchased unknowingly a winch from the front of one. A garwood 10,000lbs
I didn't realise what it was off until after abit of research. I bought the winch off eBay with the idea of attaching it to the truck for pulling out logs and tree stems.
The problem I have is that the lever for engaging the winch has been broken off. Apart from this it seems fine.
Fixing the broken part isn't the problem, the problem I have is that stripping the winch to get to the broken shaft.
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to how these winches come apart?
Any help would be appreciated. I have attached some pictures.
Thanks in advance, Vin

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are TMs (technical manuals) on the internet and this site for complete tear down and rebuild.

Vinpott

Thanks for the replys, I have now repaired the winch, thanks.
I do have another question tho, what would have been the input RPM and torque? Just wondering as I wanted to run this winch off a hydraulic motor and could do with a vague idea so I know the size of pump and motor required.
Many thanks again Vin

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to how these winches come apart? "

try this .......Steel Soldiers postings lead the the land of crystal clarity
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?80417-Winch-Teardown-Q

All the TM's are here on SS and search is your friend. There is many many posts about lubrication, operation, and rebuilding of these winches. It is strange how many times an OP asks about his "wench" so look for that too.

I am led to believe that the self recovery Garwood winch on a Deuce is just that. For dragging me out of nasty places I shouldn't have driven into.
One would have truck in 1st gear, winch in low, front axle engaged (trying to get unstuck) and forward motion of the truck will not overdrive the winch take up speed. So anything within a hundred feet or so is good to tie off to if the angle is not to great. I dunno, never used it. I understand winch use is preferably a soldier A + B operation but I have only me, and I am "B". It was in my MOS.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?85797-winch-PTO-gear-ratio

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lever breaking is the most common thing to break on these winches ( drum lock is second). What happens is the lever gets stuck and somebody tries to force it. It will always break right where the retention grove is. The lever just has a lot of leverage compared to the shaft diameter at the groove, especially when you use a hammer or pry bar.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the lever breaking, the next point of failure is the shaft. It will shear off right at the groove cut in it just inboard of the lever.

I used White Owl Truck Parts Company, located in North Carolina, for the internal parts and the gaskets and seals.

http://whiteowlparts.com/

Rick

706james815

Thanks for the replys, I have now repaired the winch, thanks.
I do have another question tho, what would have been the input RPM and torque? Just wondering as I wanted to run this winch off a hydraulic motor and could do with a vague idea so I know the size of pump and motor required.
Many thanks again Vin
Would you happen to have pictures of the repair? I just bought one and the engagement lever is also broken off . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you happen to have pictures of the repair? I just bought one and the engagement lever is also broken off . Any help would be greatly appreciated
706james815, take a look at post #6 frank has some info for winch teardown posted.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck hope the teeth on yours are better than mine turned out. I cannot find the parts to fix mine

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

706james815

Good luck hope the teeth on yours are better than mine turned out. I cannot find the parts to fix mine

I have found some parts on eBay . everything looks good inside mine someone dropped it while removing it. If there is a machine shop near you they may be able to fab one for you

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those ones on ebay are expensive. Would be cheaper to buy a good used winch. I can get some for $500

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks