• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce gearing

jcee

I have been debating the purchase of either a deuce or an LMTV and reading every post I can find on this site relating to both. leaning toward the Deuce because of the maintenance. The LMTV has too many electrical gremlins, and a myriad of other problems that can pop up and be a real pain to remedy. Granted the Deuce has it's own issues but once found and repaired can last a long time plus working on the 2 1/2 is done with the tools I have now. Mostly.

Say I take care of the brake issues and upgrade to the twin system so you don't lose all your brakes if a line fails. You've done all the fluid changes, lubed everything and PM'd anything you can see. Basically touched, cleaned, greased, oiled and everything is in great working order, placed a good set of tires and you're ready for a road trip.

Why do I do not see threads relating to higher gearing. Is there no upgrade for the Deuce? Driving long distances at 50-55 will lead to drinking. Well, drinking more. Can they be modified for higher highway speeds?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving at 55 will show you a lot of new scenery. If you must go faster, Waterloo Specialties makes a higher OD gear for the trans. Axle gearing would be exponentially costly.

dmetalmiki

One of the reasons I went to 1200x20 tires. Better cruise at easier engine RPMs. But I still like to keep the engine at 2200, no more. You can cover a lot of ground at a constant cruise.

winfred

395s make mine cruise at 60/2300 rpm and ride fairly comfy, its got a little more speed left in it but i don't really have a reason to go faster with that much mass thats under manual controls, i did 180-200 miles a couple saturdays ago to snag a m105 trailer, 60 ain't that bad and the truck doesn't seem stressed doing it

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the Waterloo gears in and have no regrets. I will say that it was somewhat intimidating to rip into the transmission but it leads to what is effectively a tranny overhaul (you can put new bearings in while you are at it) and the road manners of the Deuce with the new 5th gear are very pleasant. Expensive, yes, but also immensely driveable.

M35a2duece

Cost. Effort. Time. Unless you put allot of miles on your duece 45 to 50mph is just fine. Just because all the other cars on the road are 50 years newer and go faster doesn't mean you have to. A duece isn't slow comparable to other trucks of similar design vintage.

Also. Fwiw Google rockwell 2.5 ton axle gears. There are companies out there making other ratios besides 6.72... But it will cost you more than the Tranny upgrade