• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce govenor sticking?

flyingmikester

The FDC did not have anything to do with it. The Lever inside the box was springy and went back the reset position consistently without out any issues which was just past the vertical position. I am taking off the injectors having them tested at pinellas diesel over in st pete florida. While I am over there i will be picking up some clear fuel hose to put on in line after the filters to see if i am sucking air in the first part of the fuel system. If those both come back negative then i think im going to replace the injection pump with a known good one to see what that does. Does that sound like a good idea? what else would you guys do. Walt told me it might be 180 deg out of timing? that just didnt make sense to me how that coud mechanicaly happen. does that seem logical to anybody else?:confused:

flyingmikester

Well made it back from the injector shop today .... broke two lines that went into the injectors..... got those fixed. I had no idea how brittle those got i mean i barely touched them. Anyways I will be outfitting the return line and the supply line from the ip with clear hose to see if it sucking air tomorrow. I willtake some pistures mabe a video to show you guys whats going on. Any ideas on airsucking places.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you haven't had the hydro head out of the IP, it shouldn't be 180 out. Anywhere the fuel line makes a connection, it can leak, hard to say where to look.

derby

Since You have had the IP out and the H-Head off I would check your timing just to rule that out. TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 pg.5-172- 5-183

You might check your return lines for kinks or bent tubing. Is your in-tank pump running or are you sucking fuel to the IP? if the pump is running it would be less likley to get air in until you shut it off.
Also, check the return check that is screwed into the side of the HH make sure it is functional and not junked up.

Do you have a flame heater?

lavarok

Sounds like gummy varnish on the fuel rod/shutoff/gov assembly in the side of the pump. I had a similar problem and cleaned it up by running some 50/50 unleaded and diesel.

flyingmikester

The flame heater has been bypassed, the hh is new and when installed all the connections looked good, they were rather clean to my surprise. i will check the timing and will try the 5050 mixture fix to see if that helps.

flyingmikester

found a leak or at least one of them. It was the water drainer plug at the bottom of the primary fuel filter. After I tightened that down the truck started running a lot better. The thing is when i try to set the idle set screw i can get it to idle until i give it some gas. When I give it some gas it goes up and just hold about 2200 rpm and does not come down unless i back at the set screw. Hopefully there is a simple fix this.:| i am feeling better though really appreciate you guys helping:beer:

moriboy

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your truck? I have the exact same symptoms (see "Oregon m35a2" post from me a couple of weeks ago. I found that my pump was missing the droop screw and figured that was the issue. I replaced it, and while the low end response is much better, I can't get my truck to settle down and idle.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I can't speak for all the trucks, but some that I have had, had been sitting for a while and just needed time running. I dumped some ATF in the fuel to help clean the fuel system. After a couple weeks of driving, they calmed down and had smooth idle characteristics.
Not sure if that will apply or not, just what I have run into.

lavarok

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your truck? I have the exact same symptoms (see "Oregon m35a2" post from me a couple of weeks ago. I found that my pump was missing the droop screw and figured that was the issue. I replaced it, and while the low end response is much better, I can't get my truck to settle down and idle.
Try what I recommended, ideally you want to manually disassemble the parts and clean them but there are bits you cant reach and risks associated. Even after I cleaned mine I still had some issues until running a highly solvent fuel mixture for a short period of time until the problem went away.

Will it work for you..I don't know but its a cheap and simple thing to try. I have found unleaded fuel does wonders for removing varnish left behind by diesel fuel that has "turned".

ratat98

I can't speak for all the trucks, but some that I have had, had been sitting for a while and just needed time running. I dumped some ATF in the fuel to help clean the fuel system. After a couple weeks of driving, they calmed down and had smooth idle characteristics.
Not sure if that will apply or not, just what I have run into.
Not to hijack, but auto trans fluid will clean out the fuel system?

flyingmikester

the problem ended up bing an ip issue. I had it rebuilt bysouth east power systems in tampa $515 and and a fewdrinks later she is back on the road. Thanks for all the help it has been frustratinghaving the beast down for so long. Now I can put her back to work.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks