• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce hard start

wildbill81

With the valve cover off, TDC #1, the first mark on the balancer marked for the LDS 456. There was no marking for the LDT. After some work both the balancer and IP line up perfectly with the HH gear partially obscured by the metal allinment plate.(about 1 and a half teeth). I turned the motor over a few times and verified TDC after the intake valve closed. Could the IP have been assembled incorrectly when overhauled back in 1990? i.e eventhough the front portion of the pump is in time with the crank, the mid-section with the HH be out of wack?

wildbill81

Well science and BS fought an epic battle this weekend and if it wasn't for all my fuel being in the crankcase vice the tank I would have been able to test a theory. I counted the teeth on the HH and cam gears and was able to turn the crank about an 8th of a turn to where I could drop the HH in and then turn it back and align the balancer with its pointer and the quill shaft on the IP with it's pointer and have the red tooth on the HH just behind the pointer as pictured in the tech manual. A little bit of a PITA by myself but today I gave it a quick huff of ether and crossed my fingers....it fired up and idled. I shut it down, cranked again without touching anything and it fired up and idled at 750rpm, no hesitation when I pumped the accelerator and just a puff of black smoke. It's a lot smoother and quieter as well. I also picked up another 5 gal of oil for the oil change as well as a nipple, valve and cap to replace the drain plug below the filters.

Is there a way to verify the new o-rings on the HH are not leaking before I put another 70bucks worth of oil in it? (thank God it's a multifuel so I can at least filter it and put it in the tank, but until diesel costs more than motor oil this is a poor business model) I plan on leaving the drain plugs out overnight then turning on the electric pump tomorrow afternoon to see if anything comes out. I also will leave the shut-down cover off for this 'test'. Is this seem logical or do the O-rings only see fuel pressure when the engine is running?

Thanks
-Bill

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Remove the shutoff cable and run the engine, use a flashlight to look into that area, if fuel is leaking it will come down from the head into that area (around the sides) from the O-rings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks