• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce heater shutoff valves

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I have seen heater shutoff valves. What are those who have them using and where did you get them from? I have found several that could work, but most are very big and bulky and just wouldn't look right. Any tips appreciated.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jim
Not sure of the sizes, but are you looking for something like this?
NAPA Coolant Valve
Jeff,
That's exactly what I was looking for. Islandguydon has them on his deuce here (he's lucky i'm honest). I've never seen them before and couldn't find them. I also found the 1/4 turn ones but none that don't require a threaded nipple to be screwed in each side which makes them very long. Thanks guys.

135gmc

Any 1/4 turn valve will need a hose nipple, but since 100% shutoff isn't critical, I used the NAPA valves. You can also find them at an IH dealer - one near me has a self-help showroom where you can walk the aisles and see what they have---mirror heads & arms, cab lights, switches, etc, and that makes tracking down the right part for a different application easier.

pjvargas

Alternative part

The parts manual lists the two shutoff valves used on the personnel hot water heater hoses as NSN 4820-00-026-8473 CAGE code 90940 part number 0637127 COCK, DRAIN.
An alternative part under that NSN is part number AT35831 COCK, DRAIN from Deere & Company (John Deere).
I got one last week locally in stock from a tractor parts house for around $13.00.
The “T” handle at the top was a round bar rather than the fancy one in the previous photo but it was a beefy part nonetheless and is an equivalent part under the Federal stock system for the valve in the parts manual.
PS The valve (COCK, DRAIN) needs adapter fittings (two different ones) to fit into the threaded openings in the water pump housing and the engine water jacket as shown in the tech manuals. I ordered them from McMaster Carr; let me know if you need the part numbers for them.

Here are the listed Technical Characteristics for this valve:
NOMINAL PIPE SIZE ACCOMMODATED - 0.375 INCHES 1ST END
THREAD DIRECTION - RIGHT HAND 1ST END
FLOW CONTROL DEVICE - DISK OR STEM
CONNECTION STYLE - PLAIN (PIPE) 1ST END BEADED (HOSE) 2ND END
VALVE OPERATION METHOD - MANUAL
CONNECTION TYPE - THREADED EXTERNAL PIPE 1ST END UNTHREADED EXTERNAL HOSE 2ND END
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE - 0.375 INCHES 1ST END
MATERIAL - COPPER ALLOY OVERALL
STYLE DESIGNATOR - ANGLE
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATOR - NPTF 1ST END
NON-DEFINITIVE GOVERNMENT SPEC/STD REFERENCE A-A-59440
NONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA - 1 TYPE AND A STYLE

jatonka

I use the Napa marine shut-offs on all my heater installations, they look like the issued valves and always work well enough for me cause I leave them on year around, it's cold up here nearly every morning. JT