• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce held hostage

KaiserM109

On June 7 we used my M109 deuce to move our MKT around and noticed a nest with two eggs in the boarding ladder in the back rack. After having the truck out of its space for two hours we put the trailer and truck back.

On June 28 I was poking around behind the deuce and Momma left the nest like a rocket. She was sitting on 2 babies. We saw them again on the 29th when we went to work on my 5 ton.

Ain't Momma Nature wonderful!!

Attachments

KaiserM109

Okay, what are they in the first picture doofus?
' Don't know. Mamma bird is fast to exit the area! She seems to be about the same color as her chicks and maybe a little smaller than a pigeon. When she exited the nest she flew level through an 18" gap between my M105 trailer and a commercial trailer.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are Mourning dove squab (young). The adults make a pretty flimsy nest compared to song birds. Considered migratory game bird.

So what you are saying is that they could have been breakfast at one point in this thread but now they can be dinner? Awesome.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what you are saying is that they could have been breakfast at one point in this thread but now they can be dinner? Awesome.
Come September 1, 2014 (Labor Day) those little buggers will be legal to take in KY. Wrap bacon around the breast and grill.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to fillet the breasts and cook them on a repurposed harrow disk (Mexican Wok) over a propane burner, with mushrooms, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and some bacon or sausage for the fat. First you render the fat by frying the bacon or sausage. then you add the breasts (and the hearts), onions and peppers, along with some water and let it stew over medium heat. Season to taste. As the water evaporates, it starts to fry so you add in the mushrooms. Once all of the water is gone, remove from the heat, put some in a warm tortilla, maybe add some salsa if the jalapenos were on the wimpy side, and chow down. Chase with a gulp of your favorite brew.

Come on September first!!!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to fillet the breasts and cook them on a repurposed harrow disk (Mexican Wok) over a propane burner, with mushrooms, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and some bacon or sausage for the fat. First you render the fat by frying the bacon or sausage. then you add the breasts (and the hearts), onions and peppers, along with some water and let it stew over medium heat. Season to taste. As the water evaporates, it starts to fry so you add in the mushrooms. Once all of the water is gone, remove from the heat, put some in a warm tortilla, maybe add some salsa if the jalapenos were on the wimpy side, and chow down. Chase with a gulp of your favorite brew.

Come on September first!!!
Great recipe, will try it with chicken by lack of edible doves here. I think we should open an OD Culinary Forum, or to stay in style, an OD grub line

KaiserM109

Well, they've flown the nest! Momma bird did her job.

Thursday I took off work early to work on my 5 ton and went to check on the nest. No chicks, no bodies on the ground, so I think they flew away.

I'd show you the picture of the empty nest, but I can’t get this website to upload the picture.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you have to watch out for the wasp's nest, it's that time of the summer. Keep plenty of "Wasp/Hornet" spray handy. WD40 works well too.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now have a two-pack Epi-Pen case that I have to have around the farm because of my episode last year with the Hornets...........

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now have a two-pack Epi-Pen case that I have to have around the farm because of my episode last year with the Hornets...........
Steve, you need to keep "your distance", send the neighbor kid in with the spray bombs. I got chased yesterday, cleaned a M105 cover and tossed it over the
farm truck to dry, big wasp nest in the right fender well. They'll "get it" tonight when I retrieve the cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks