• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Help.. OPINIONS PLEASE...

2dogsafightin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEW MEAT....Im New here and becoming interested.. My Dad has a nicely restored M38A1..( Its his baby)...I receintly looked at a Deuce... Please offer your opinions... I dont have have any pictures and I am NO mechanic......I drove the truck. everything shifted nicely..Fires right up..Its a turbo...Cont 465.....I dont know if its a Whistler or not (I dont know the difference) Its a turbo, Pretty loud????.. Brakes appeared good. No suprises...The odo says 400 miles and the engine looks very clean..(Im thinking changeout??) NO drips anywhere, front , back or middle...One windshield cracked...one dent on front fender..softball size...hard top (Not installed) It has a winch the fellow says it works but I did not try it.. All light are supposed to work as they should...I did not try them....Tires are very good...It has troop seats bows and a pretty good cover....THIS IS A SUPER WEB SIGHT. Im glad I found it... Opinions as to what its worth will be GREATLY appreciated...THANKS in advance... 2dogs......OUT

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to say what it would be worth. A few months back you could buy a decent winch truck for $3,500-$4,000. With the surplus supply slacking off prices have been climbing lately.

66Reo6X6

Sounds like 42 is a fair price to me. Paid close to that for mine without a winch, bows, or canvas. Go for it and have fun while you are at it. There are lots of knowledgeable members here willing to answer your questions. :grd:

rwbrown72

Offer what you are comfortable paying... If he is comfortable selling for that price, then you have a deal and everyone is happy. Sounds pretty fair to me as well. Only one way to learn about owning a Deuce. ;-)

gunboy1656

Well before you do anything more, download the TM's under the resource tab.

You can tell the difference in turbos real easy. whe you fire it up, you will here a whistle from the start.

Where did you drive the truck? on road or off? If on road you need to turn the lights on so you have brake lights and turn signals.

Cant really give advice on price without pics, but I got a real nice winch truck for 4 grand last year. You can ask Garandfan. I would agree with him, would not push 35 myself.

And lastly. welcome to the site.

goodguyzy

i just picked up 2
#1 58,000 miles W/W good tires, bows...etc good bats, non whistler turbo. some seals are slow leakers, no rust $3,300
#2 7,000 miles w/o W, 2 bad tires, bows...etc, old bats, whistler turbo, came with: tow bar, hex net and poles, troop ladder, m105 trailer thats a piece of crap but good wheels/tires some rust $2,800
both rebuilt around '90
hope that gives that a comparison

Heavysteven

Well, I would say 4,200 is fair. I would call back and offer $3,500. Go from there.

Keep us posted if you buy it. Would love to see photo's.

Make sure to look at the hubs to check for gear oil or brake fuild. Also, ask if all the filters and fuilds have been changed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, another member from the Bluegrass State. Lots of good members within a hundred miles or so. Price seems fair to me. For that price it needs to have a title. Does it have the correct original DATA plate? Does it match the numbers on the frame? All things to consider (all are deal breakers for me).

2dogsafightin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well when I looked at it I did not know where to look for the data plates.. Or the frame numbers.....Any advice would be appreciated....Also coming into consideration is, I was planning to have it bobbed... Im no mechanic and its starting to look like its almost as cheap to buy a deuce already bobbed. By the time you add all the mechanical work, Big tires and the cost of a m105 trailer it looks like you might be doin alot of work for nothing... Any body know a trusted bobber out there??? I dont mind to work (**** I farm on the side) , But I dont like to work for nothing......There is a 5 ton in the classified (with power steering) that looks nice to me. I guess I should call that guy....presently im torn about which way to go.....Let your opinions fly.. I have thick skin....2dogs.......OUT

jimm1009

Yes but those dag-gone mules keep busting the fences to eat on the other side. Greener grass over there. :razz:

Take some pictures of the dash board area and specfically the area just to the left of the glove box / lower area of the glass in the windshield.

If you have two data plates that are approximately 2 1/2 inches tall and about 8 inches wide with 6 screws or 6 rivets holding them on then you should have what you need. If there is a data plate that has M35A2 or M35A or M35A2C on the top middle area then take a real clear closeup picture of that plate and post it if you can or e-mail it to me. jimm1009@yahoo.com
The numbers should be just to the rear of the stteering box mounting area or just forward of the upper shock mount in the left front wheel area on the frame. They may be covered by several layers of paint or general crap from years of usage.

I can help you as many others can too.
Also look for a registration number that looks something like NKO4J4 or 4J19357 that could be stenciled ont he inside of the doors or on the dash board or uner the hood. Also take picture of the front and rear bumper areas to show the numbers from the last unit if they are still there.
Your serial number should be something like 0235-01893 as an example.
Post what you find or e-mail to me and we can collectively help you sort it out.
As recovery 4x4 stated above you want the numbers to be right before paying the entire amount although a refundable deposit would not be out of the question if you strike up a deal.

I have attached a JPG and a PDF version of two pictures that may help you in a revision to this reply.

jimm1009

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks