• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce High RPM major oil leak

fcnavojo

Hi,
I have a Kaiser made multifuel Duece and when it gets to high RPM on the road. It sprays oil ALL OVER the engine compartment. I have washed it several times and tried to find the source, but it only leaks at high RPM/ Load and then by the time I stop and look it is all over the place again. HELP! Please tell me all of the potential areas to look for the source of this leak. It does not appear to be the Oil filter gaskets, but maybe? It sprays all under the hood and is mostly driver side concentrated. Seems to be getting spread by the fan?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Frank

Rmtaunton

Good news is your not alone , I remember reading a post about same thing a year or two ago bad news is I can't remember where

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, start by spraying it down clean and running it in place.

Have someone else run it while you watch.

Start at 1k rpm for 2min, them 1.5k for 2 min, then 2k, etc.

Might even take the fan off for the test, just make sure your temp gauge works.

rustystud

Could just be your slobber tube. Do you run a tube down below the chassis ? If not that then check your oil filter gaskets. Remember the bolt is torqued down to 80 ft. lbs.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel with you. Mine has been doing the same thing since I got it in 2009. I am quite certain that it is the head gasket slobbering at the front of the block and the fan blows the oil mist all over the place. Only happens under load and at 2k-plus rpm.

I second testing after a good wash, with the fan removed (so you see the actual leak, as opposed to oil spray everywhere).

fcnavojo

Could just be your slobber tube. Do you run a tube down below the chassis ? If not that then check your oil filter gaskets. Remember the bolt is torqued down to 80 ft. lbs.
I do not yet have a slobber tube installed. The leak is spraying the underside of the hood. Would the slobber tube do that?

fcnavojo

Thanks for the varied RPM test and the idea to take the fan off. I will try that. Also would the tach cable leak oil where it attaches toward the front of the head? I saw in some other thread someone talked about that.

jbayer

Um, I think it's 60 ft. lbs Rusty.

From TM 9-2320-361-20 section 3-7 f.pg 3-12
1. Coat new gasket (4) with light film of engine oil.2. Install new gasket (4) and body (2) on filter housing (3). Tighten center post (1)60 lb-ft (81 N·m).

Just this Monday I fixed a simular problem with my m35a2. I had two oil leaks. One was the rear oil filter seal and the other was the tapit cover gasket. I removed the oil filter and seal, cleaned everything and flipped the seal over and reinstalled everything. Next I removed the tapit cover, cleaned it and made a new gasket then reinstalled it. No more leak. Now I only have about 10 more leaks to fix.

fcnavojo

Thanks, I will look at the oil filter gaskets. Forgive my stupidity, what is the Tapit cover gasket?
I have been thinking (dangerous I know). In order for me to try to narrow this down, would it make sense to clean everything and then put masking tape or duct tape or electrical tape on the suspect areas (Head gasket area, Oil filter gasket area, Tapit cover gasket?) to see if they get blown off or just covered over with oil. You guys think that might work?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I will look at the oil filter gaskets. Forgive my stupidity, what is the Tapit cover gasket?
I have been thinking (dangerous I know). In order for me to try to narrow this down, would it make sense to clean everything and then put masking tape or duct tape or electrical tape on the suspect areas (Head gasket area, Oil filter gasket area, Tapit cover gasket?) to see if they get blown off or just covered over with oil. You guys think that might work?
The valve cover on top of the head.

Looks like I spelled that wrong. It's tappet. It's the cover behind the fuel filters. It's about 6" x 14" long.
I noticed that the mounting screws were all loose. I tightened them and it still leaked. When I renoved the cover I found that the gasket was rough, stiff and brittle.

Flyingvan911

Is there any diesel in the oil? When my flame heater nozzle leaked diesel into my motor oil the engine started leaking oil out of the front crankshaft seal. If you have diesel in the oil it might explain why it leaks only at high rpm's.

Jeepsinker

Unscrew the tachometer drive cable, then unscrew the drive assembly from the timing cover on the front of the engine. You will find a couple of rubber O- rings, replace them and reinstall. If the leak continues, the headgaskets is leaking oil out the front and blowing both back onto the oil filters and up on the hood. Not a big deal, mine has been that way a couple years now and I daily drive mine. These leaks look worse than they are because of the way the oil blows around.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question concerning the term HIGH RPMs, when you say THIS what are you considering HIGH RPMS, 2000, 2500, 3000 rpm what are you saying when you say HIGH RPMs?
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks