• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce home! Good/bad news...

Desert Rat

D.5,
Welcome to the club! Considering how old these trucks are it's no wonder. Call Saturn to see if they have any in stock since they don't always keep their website up-to-date all the time. Sometimes you can get a pleasant surprise. I'd also try Memphis Equipment as a second call. They're very expensive but have top quality parts always in stock. You'll love her like she's your own newborn!

rdixiemiller

If you have a high speed line, you can download the manuals from the govt website. If you don't, send me your snail mail address and I'll burn you a CD of all the pertinant manuals and get it out to you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey gang, Robert has been offering to send deuce manuals out to just about eveyone. All you guys getting the benefit of these manuals from Robert, take a few minutes ans send him a couple of bucks for his costs.

Armada

Duece.5,
Talk to Jerry at TNJ, 1-877-736-1790. They have the clutch disk and pressure plate, roughly $100 each. Also don't forget to get a throw-out bearing and collar as well, $57. The flywheel will cost $60 to resurface, its a big, heavy sob. Get a copy of the TM, that will have the torque specs. Also, an engine hoist through the cab will work GREAT for relieving the load of the transmission when unbolting it and then lowering it to the ground. Its not that bad of a job really. Good luck.

rdixiemiller

All
Thanks for the plug on the CD. I am adding every manual I can find that is pertinent to the deuce. I really need a gas engine manual, that would really be a nice addition.
Anyone need one they can send me their snail mail and one will be on the way.
I am adding a 1000# capacity hand winch to the top rear of my hydraulic engine hoist. A small pulley welded on the end of the arm, now I will be able to lower a deuce tranny to the ground. This should really add to the usefulness of the engine hoist.

MVtrucker

Make sure that you use a dummy spline to line the disk up. An extra transmission
input shaft works real good, if you can find one. Maybe a shop will have one you can
use or maybe you can buy a dummy spline that fits.

mangus580

A spline isnt even needed so much for it, as a shaft with the two diameters. Can easily make one with a lathe, just make it the diameter for the pilot bearing, just like the tranny shaft, and then make it the smaller diameter of the spline. I have done this before and it works great.

MVtrucker

Correct Mike. One guy I know made one out of wood! Getting the transmission input shaft back into the clutch and pilot bearing can be a test, but it helps to know that the disk is centered. Then you know it will go in once it's lined up right.

mangus580

Lemme tell ya how I learned.... :-D I made the mistake of putting a clutch disc in backwards on a chevy 350 mudtruck engine once... Really sux havin to pull the engine twice because it wont go in!!! We still did the clutch change in a few hours......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you've had a few parts deuces go through your yard, you're lucky enough to get parts transmissions. I have an old input shaft and although I've used the universal bushing too, nothing compares to the hard steel input shaft.

Kaiserjeeps

There are two styles of clutches. Be sure you find out what you have first. I bought mine from saturn and was pleased. I used an engine crane with a motor load leveler. Piece of cake... Check all driveline bolts too. Mine were finger loose on the yokes.

deuce.5

Thanks for all the replies, I've been getting some useful information. I saw that there were two types of pressure plates listed on saturn Surplus, but I'm fortunate enough that the service records I have list the NSN numbers of the parts used in the previous clutch work. I have removed the inspection panels from the floor of the truck, and am getting ready to drop the transmission. I'm going to try the 4X4 across the cab trick with my comealong and see how it goes. Except for the sheer size of the trans., this looks like it's going to be an easier job than on my Chevy pickup!

Deuce.5

Armada

Good luck Duece.5!

I see you are from Ketchikan. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in July '03 on a cruise and that was one of our stops. The weather was sunny all week and a half. The country is totally awe inspiring. I could definately spend the summers up there, even with the rain.

Dieselsmoke

IF you're lucky like I seldom am, I had two deep well sockets that fit perfectly as a line up tool. Clutch went in flawlessly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't let that trans fool you, it's only about 140#. The only trick you need to remember is placement of the comealong. When removing I position the comealong a little behind the center of the trans to make it easier to swing it out of the bell. Reverse that so its easier to swing in the bell on assy. You can do a bunch of the work from the top. Watch the edges of the floorboard though, they can be sharp and have burrs. They've made my hands leak more than once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks