• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce hood help

bones1

After herniating myself today checking oil how about a set of hood/ hatchback struts off a van etc adding some assistance. Anyone ever thought of this or is it dumb?.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Years ago I met a guy that had a long hood Peterbuilt. It had the V-12 Detroit in so it needed the extra lenght.

He had a neat little electric hydrolic setup to raise and lower the hood.....don't know if this would work on a deuce but since we have such a wealth of knowledge and fabrication experience here someone may have some ideas.

Jake0147

I've thought about it a good deal. It MAY help with rattly hood hinges, it would surely help with opening the hood, but I'm very concerned about two things. First, where the hinges bolt to the cowl, that's prone to fatigue and cracking without the extra tension all the time. And the closing of the hood, it's kinda flimsy in a side to side way. I'm picturing some of the old "flip up" tonneau covers for pickups, where you had to hang a strap on each side and guide it down otherwise it's twist up and get stuck half way. That whole process might add more degrees of difficulty to the closing process than would be saved on the opening process. Just thoughts, I have not actually done anything about seeing if it would really work out.

DieselBob

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would think the gas assist cylinders for a hatch back car would have a long enough stroke when used with the proper mounting system. Jake0147 has a good point that the mounting points would need the proper reinforcement to keep the hood or firewall from cracking.

Last edited:

scoutmanadam

i have a steel pole about five feet long with piece of angle welded to the end of it. all i have to do is undo the tie-downs, push in the release and the angle piece is set to catch the front then i just push it up. it works pretty good.

AMX

I cant recall where, but there is info available that indicates the load capacity and stroke length of lift cylinders (maybe Strongarm?). The downside is,if they ever give way you may get hurt very badly. Unlike a car or van , the weight is much greater and you body is in a different position (in relation to the hood) than you have with a van hatch.

Unforgiven

What about a tilt-forward assembly? Weld the fenders to the hood, chop the fenders at the hood hinge line, add a hinge in front of the radiator, and use the on-board air to push some pneumatic pistons?

Not that I've been thinking of doing that myself or anything. :rolleyes:

Jake0147

Hope you never have to open that hood to diagnose or correct a no start. Or an air leak condition. I'd bet that'd be heavy without help.

Just to point out, I'm sure most have already figured this. Yes, gas strut assemblies do come with a rating, but it's in a straight line. If you want to figure what your hood needs, you need the center of mass location, the angle from the hood hinge to the hood mount for the strut, to the truck mount for the strut, and you've got to dig out your slide rule to figure out how many pounds at the cylinder equals how many pounds of lift, and of course the change in all those angles through the course of the travel of the hood as it opens.

If you've got a newer plastic slide rule, go for it, but if you've got one of the nice old wooden ones that could possibly wear out and loose accuracy in addition to any potential future collector value, you might consider junk yard shopping versus buying new so that trial and error can be used for the more intricate parts of the calculations.

bones1

Unforgiven, I did a slide forward and flip up front end on a 50 plymouth for a guy maybe 20 years ago and I don't think I want to try that again.................but ya never know.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After herniating myself today checking oil how about a set of hood/ hatchback struts off a van etc adding some assistance. Anyone ever thought of this or is it dumb?.
I never thought of a deuce hood as heavy? You can lift one up with one finger, why use an assist? Lowering the tailgate is heavier than raising a hood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks