• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce horn blows on its own

Alexl2590

hello i have a 1970 m35a2 once in a wile when i trun the stering wheel or hit a bump the horn will sound mabe even stick im thinking that there is an exposed wire in the steering colum can some one give me some tips on running a new wire or what to mabe try first thanks Alex

BadMastard

Quick way to remove the horn button, is to remove the ring clip around the rubber button. You can take the screws out, but that takes longer. Lift the button carefully, there is supposed to be a shielded wire running down the center of the column. That's probably not in good shape any more. If you're lucky, it's just a wear spot near the top you can tape or rubber coat. If not, you'll be taking out the wire from the bottom. If you get to that, start reading your manual!

littlebob

it wants more attention! sry... have you removed the horn button and checked the wiring?
Welcome to the site, I agree with Welder Sam. The circuit is activated when grounded, so anywhere the insulation on the wire is compromised it could contact the chassis and close the circuit intermittently. The only problem I've had has been in the button itself.

Welder Sam

If not, you'll be taking out the wire from the bottom. If you get to that, start reading your manual!

have u checked the tm's? yes, theres tons of them... however...

Alexl2590

Welcome to the site, I agree with Welder Sam. The circuit is activated when grounded, so anywhere the insulation on the wire is compromised it could contact the chassis and close the circuit intermittently. The only problem I've had has been in the button itself.
thank you for the welcome i have recently replaced the buttonthe problem got better but it still happens once and a wile im thinking that the wire is dry roted what should i be looking for

Alexl2590

If not, you'll be taking out the wire from the bottom. If you get to that, start reading your manual!

have u checked the tm's? yes, theres tons of them... however...
wich manual should i be looking at for this ill be honist im kinda new to thease trucks

Alexl2590

Quick way to remove the horn button, is to remove the ring clip around the rubber button. You can take the screws out, but that takes longer. Lift the button carefully, there is supposed to be a shielded wire running down the center of the column. That's probably not in good shape any more. If you're lucky, it's just a wear spot near the top you can tape or rubber coat. If not, you'll be taking out the wire from the bottom. If you get to that, start reading your manual!
ya at this point im up to replacing the wire i think its chafed some where wich manual will have this information in it

littlebob

have taken the horn button out but im not to shure how to get the wre out to inspect it is there any tricks you know of to get it out
Disconnect at the bottom of the steering box, by unplugging or cutting if you can't find a connector to unplug. When you do this make sure you tape something to the wire you pull out to make it easier to fish back through when you put it back.

Get some sort of spell check.

Welder Sam

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-3.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-2-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-2-2.pdf

should be a start... im not sure myself. havent given this particular item much thought yet. its gotta be both annoying and embarrassing

Alexl2590

OK at the bottom there is a cork/rubber plug that goes into the steering box dose that come off of should i cut the wire before that and splice it to the new wire

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine did the same thing. found the wire was worn where it comes out of the steering box. I replaced the wire and added a service loop to stop any further rubbing. problem solved.

Troll1216

Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will) but isn't the horn a backwards wired item? The horn should be hot all the time and the horn button grounds it.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Troll,
You're correct. The horn button completes the circuit to ground, and you get sound. If the wire has the insulation rubbed off, the circuit is completed at that point and the horn sounds off!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks