• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hub-flipping, mounting 1100's on stock rims

Adamlee

Hello, all....

I have been reading with great interest Wallew's super singles exploits, and all the wonderful feedback.

Lost in the shuffle, perhaps, I wondered if anyone ran a jpeg or foto of an in-service M35A2 with single 1100x20 Michelins? NOT the 11x20 NDT's...I am not so sure but I think that besides the 14.5R20 NATO-trad Michelins, wasn't there a smaller 1100x20 version that would fit on a stock deuce rim?

Jeff was saying that a bunch of deuces came out of New Jersey some years back with just this setup - all had flipped hubs, and stock rims with michelin 1100's on them....

ideas? photos?

TIA
!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I've been out today pricing tires. The UP side is that I can get more than I paid for the Michelin XDY-1 retreads. The down side is that even having said that, these tires are hugely expensive.

$350 - $450 - the lower price is for BFG's and the higher price is for Michelin.

The problem seems to be that the XDY-1's that I got are considered Low Profile. It doesn't bother me that they are Lo-Pro's. Havings said that, trying to find a set of new fronts that would come close to the XDY-1's in that particular size. The 11R22.5's are about 1 1/2" taller than the 27580R22.5's that I currently have. I'm getting a headache going through all the tires I've been through lately.

If anyone out there has a suggestion, I would personally appreciate it.

Note: The XDY-1's are retreads and cost approximately $250 per tire. As I will want to spares that's times two. PLUS two NEW tires to closely match the size of the XDY-1's and therein lies the rub...

jim

red devils dude

I'm going with dump-truck tires when I get the money retreads at that the only thing I'll use them for is long trip's
hopeing to spend about $100ea then wheel are $35ea for take off's near me with bad tires.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking carefully at that particular picture, it doesn't even look like they flipped the hubs. I could be wrong, but it appears they mounted them the same way you would if it were the outside of a pair of tires on the rear.

FSBruva

wallew-

The reason that the picture doesn't look like they flipped the hubs is because they didn't.... that picture belongs in the 5-ton forum.

Matt

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correctomundo...The current 900-series 5-ton uses the same wheel front & rear, with no hub flipping. The big CITES capable wheels in the photo are beveled on both sides for lugnuts. I have seen the M35E3 with the same pattern, and have seen it with the rears flipped. It is simpler to leave it alone, but it will track better oif they are flipped. I have done mine, found it to be most beneficial.

For you duece owners, I'd recommend the Goodyear G386 1200-20 radial. It will fit your stock wheels nicely, run cool, and have a great all-around tread. A little extra road speed won't hurt, either. Your multifuel will probably go dead before the tires do.

dg

Adamlee

1100's on stock deuce rims...NATO tread pattern

Longhunter said:

Is this what you are looking for? They are Michelin X, 11:00 X 20 radial, tubeless, on stock rims
!

exactly what I'm talking about! I just didn't have scans I could find quickly of a deuce with that pattern...which was why I resorted to the 5-ton pic as generic reference...(not necessarily a great reference, but oh well!)

I remember these advertised as good take-offs back around 1998-2000 listed in the back of MV magazine by someone...I need to dig thru my old pile of mags, and find that ad again.

Longhunter, is that your rig? If so, where did the tires come from? That is what I'd like to setup on my deuce as well. That way, I can keep the same rims, and still be "period correct" for a later-model setup...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the idea of the 5 ton wheel. The offset is just such as that when you reverse the wheel from the front to the back. It carries the same offset negating switching the hubs. Switching the hubs isn't a big deal but I just love the look of the 5 ton wheel better. If I were ever to build an off road deuce, I would have my wheels made with plate centers and to that offset and chamfer both sides of the wheel. They have a pretty cool dual valve stem setup that allows airing up and down from either side of the rim.

rdixiemiller

My deuce came out of Fort Benning with these tires and wheels on it. The tires are G386 Radials IIRC. Rear hubs are flipped. Runs and drives great!
If I ever find a full set of 1200 radials, I would probably run them just for kicks.
The tires on mine have great performance in the rain, never go mudding, so I can't say there. Probably be good in Florida sand, probably no good in Ga. clay mud.

Attachments

Adamlee

Thanx, rdixiemiller....yep, pretty much any tire OTHER than NDT/NDCC is an improvement. The best thing to be said about stock non-directionals is that they roll pretty well. Various examples of terrible rain/mud/snow incidents leave me wondering what took so long to get modern radial replacements. Oh yeah...cost!

Rattlehead

How would one go about running just the outer wheels on the back? I would like to go with singles, but cannot afford to narrow the rear track any more because of my high center of gravity. Have already been in a couple of off-camber situations that got the ole heart pumping.

From what I can tell, the wheel studs are the same front to back, the difference is in the wheel lugs?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Longhunter7,
THAT is (was?) a nice looking truck.

YOU HAD to paint it yourself. Did you get the bed cover that way or did you paint it yourself? IF you painted it, what type of paint did you use?

Can anyone tell me what gaskets/seals are necessary when you flip the hubs. OK, start by multiplying everthing mentioned by four.

I think there is a 'hub gasket'? And a seal of some kind? I've talked to Jay at Saturn Surplus and he doesn't want to sell me something I don't need, but hey, I have no clue what I do or do not need.

Anybody who knows this one, speak up. Don't be shy.

thx
jim

PS - Rattlehead. I'll let someone else verify this, but if you flipped the hubs I THINK you could just mount your current tires/wheels but only using one on the rear per axle. I THINK that's correct. I'm sure anyone else who knows this can tell you if this is correct or not. jim

Wick246

Rattlehead, the only difference is the hub is flipped around, the studs are removed, then pushed through the same holes in the opposite direction. The reason they do this as opposed to just removing one wheel and not flipping the hubs is to put the rear tires at the same width and in the same track as the front tires. I don't think you have to flip the hubs to run singles but you will have to decide which of the four combinations availible (hubs flipped or not and dish in or out) will best fit your needs.

Longhunter7

Paint?

wallew,

The Deuce was painted entirely in CARC 383 green as a base color, then the black and brown were applied over the base 383 green.

The cab top and cargo cover were both the current issue vinyl woodland material.

Attachments

Adamlee

super singles conversation

Longhunter7 -

Those tires on your deuce you sold (very nice truck, I must say!) are the ones I'm looking for. Fit on stock rims, just mainly a more worthwhile tread pattern.

That look you achieved in CARC woodland is what I'm working towards in Desert Tan....I would like to try including "field expedient" sheet steel armor panels on the doors/bolted to the back, like Hardox 400 sheets, trying to create one option for the truck as a modern "gun truck" like some of the ones I've captured on disc.

Anyway, that's ONE dream I've got....first is to just get it repainted soon!

Adam

Longhunter7

Great Tires!

Adamlee,

The Michelin X radials were a super tire! They were excellent in the mud with the staggered block tread design.

They were also excellent on the highway, and with the lock-out hubs on the front axle, I could do 60mph!

Attachments