• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce hub possible issue

Jeepsinker

If you don't have an infrared temp gun you should get one. Sometimes they feel much hotter than they really are. I've thought mine were too hot before, but when I hit them with the temp gun they were only 115-120 degrees. I would be comfortable with temps up to the area of 140-150 on longer runs. You'll find that the surface of the front tires gets up around 140 and the rears get around 115 alone, so hubs being in that range too are fine. If they run up around 180-200 there is something wrong, but of course the cooler they are the better.

Jeepsinker

I would suggest driving it around in your local area for a while to let things settle in and break the new seal in. I always do and it has worked for me so far.

RAYZER

I was advised by Steve 6x6x6 (the authority on Rockwell axles) to use a inner bearing race to set your inner seal because that's where it's going to properly ride on the hub.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do I check for proper brake adjustment when adjusting the slack adjustment?
My issue was on a trailer. I jacked it up to change the bearings and noticed that the brake was dragging a bit, but didn't think about it at the time. Ended up pulling the hub and finding the bearings in good shape, repacked them with a new seal (to replace the one I removed), and backing the brakes in several clicks on the adjuster before putting it back on. Spun it, to verify the brakes were not touching, went to the front of the trailer and applied the manual brakes to make sure they still engaged, and I was good to go.

Next trip I took several readings. Going down the highway they didn't build any heat. When going through the city with a lot of stop and go, the brakes would heat up the hub a bit. Another member suggested doing this and also reading the temp on the pumpkins when driving the truck to get an idea of what the numbers should be. This will allow you to know when you have a problem, or at least when the temperatures start getting higher.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
hot hubb not hot tubb

Get yourself an heatgun, .. will tell you wonderful things.
I find all six axles run different temperature with zero brake drag.

Last edited:

barefootin

Most likely as others have said it's brake adjustment. Jack that wheel up and see if it spins with light drag (or similar to another). Consult the TM's for proper course and fine adjustment methods if they need adjustment. It takes a little time, but something you need to know. If that doesn't help, check your bearing pre-load again......

kcollum

Had same problem after replacing seals and repacking bearings, three ran at 89F to 95F and the fourth at 135F IR gunned the brake drum 90F. Backed off two flats of the axle nut and rechecked 85F. Should have listened to my gut and not over tightening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks