• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Identification Question

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
The M35s I drove in ther service had the air tanks "buried" behind the spare tire on the driver's side. I'm tall enough that I could just squat down and reach under the spare to drain my tanks, but most of my troops had to lie down and crawl partway underneath to do it.

The ones I've seen lately have the tank drain valves behind the "tool box" door on the driver's side running board.

When, and on what model, did this change take place?

jasonjc

On the M35A3's? My M818's have the drain under the tool box. I think I remember the M939's having them near the tool box all so. Never seen it on the M35 thought.

The M35s I drove in ther service had the air tanks "buried" behind the spare tire on the driver's side. I'm tall enough that I could just squat down and reach under the spare to drain my tanks, but most of my troops had to lie down and crawl partway underneath to do it.

The ones I've seen lately have the tank drain valves behind the "tool box" door on the driver's side running board.

When, and on what model, did this change take place?
nopics

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most Deuces have the air tanks between the fuel tank and spare tire. I know the short wheelbase Deuces, like the tractor and dump truck have their air tanks outside the frame.

5 tons have a "slimmer" tool box and have the air tanks behind them on the outside of the frame.

mckeeranger

Here are pics of the air tank drain on an XM817, and an M35A2.

I have seen a kit to move the valves on the M35A2 to the outside of the mud flap, but I don't remember where. I think it would be easy to modify to make it easier to get to, with parts from the hardware store.

To answer your question, I don't know when they made the change. I've only seen them like this.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks