• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Idle Temp

Boatcarpenter

Thanks Fred. Am I correct in thinking these trucks have a 185 degree thermostat? Also, I don't have my heater installed yet, so I'm not sure about this, but would the heater be on the warm water side of things and been producing heat?

fredrader

Yea The heat would be working just fine at that temp..At least untill you start dowm the road and the wind starts oozing in from all the bad seals in the door glass and windshield as well as the rear of the soft top and holes in the the firewall and shifter..It will keep the windshield defrosted and your feet warm though..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have checked my coolant temp under many conditions.
I use a thermocouple probe installed right by the standard temp sending unit and get accurate readings on a digital Fluke DVM.
At temps around freezing, you are lucky to get over 150F w/o radiator cover. With radiator cover closed you are right on the money, Boatcarpenter, about 170-175F at idle.

The t-stat will start to open at about 180 and be fully open at 195F.
It will rarily open at idle, even in the summer.
Highway driving (level road): About 180, the t-stat opens a little.
Highway driving (down hill): Temp may drop to 140 if the hill is long enough, say 5 miles on the interstate.
Highway driving (uphill): With a gross weight of about 24.000 lb and a 7% incline, the temp has topped 200F. Drops a little when shifting down to 3rd gear. Ambient about 75F.

Because of the wild fluctuations, I used the radiator cover in the summer too until last year when I custom made the current plywood radiator cover, which I leave on at all times. It helps a lot in keeping a more constant temp. Now I have the radiator winter cover on and fully closed at idle. Night time temps about 20F.

If your coolant temp hits 220F, then you have a problem. Check coolant. Check gauge. Check T-stat.
Remember that the coolant will lose its efficiency after two year or so and should be changed. If it's not clear, it need to be flushed out and replaced for sure.

Bjorn

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

I have hit 200F+ on long pulls and always figured that was about as high as I wanted to see it.
Haven't had a chance to really super check all cooling system hoses, petcocks etc so I figured that was a sefe temp so I wouldn't blow the weak link if there is one. Temp drops rapidly though as soon as I level off or go downhill. Just still trying to find out all the operating parameters(?) are for this rig and seem to be right where I should be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks