• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce in the sand at the dunes?

redjordan

So in the next couple weeks I want to take my deuce to the dunes. I have talked to a couple people in passing who said they do great, just air down, and if they get stuck, they are super easy to dig out.

Anybody done this? What would you air down to? Any suggestions for taking the deuce to the dunes?

I have ridden bikes and quads on the dunes, as well as taken my fords out there, and you learn fast that diesels really suck, its all about keeping the wheels spinning, you need rpm for the sand, and bald tires work better. No clue on how the deuce is going to do, and scared of getting stuck, because there isnt much that will be able to pull me out.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the data plate on the dash says to air the tires down to 15PSI for mud and sand....i guess thats where i would start. obviously make sure you can air them back up for the trip home. Its so nice having air on the truck to do stuff like that :D

Jimma

If you dont air them up before you leave you will have a nice slow and bumpy ride home as you bounce down the road.

Josh

Took mine to the dunes over laborday weekend, put almost 75 miles on her just in the sand. I aired the front down to 15, the rer outside duals to 15, and left the inside at 50psi. Only time I had trouble was dragging a 20ft log off the beach up a slight grde. be warned though, the deuce doesnt like modertly steep hills. It will crawl up most slight slopes no problem, but other then tht have fun.

dc3coyote

Trust your data sheet. I would be leary of taking my tire pressure any lower. I have taken dueces out onto sand before
But only do it if you have a vehicle to extract yourself and make sure to bring the proper equipment. One think I like to
with me is something like Martson Mating. Bring a couple shovels and a cooler of beer to pay any volunteers you wind up
drafting to help you. Dont let me scare you from going on the trip, I just REALLY hate getting stuck without the right tools
Make sure you bring a good camera, because we love pics here as well.

redjordan

really? I live in Santa Ynez, about 30 minutes south of Santa Maria, and Pismo is where I plan on going! I didnt know there were any SS members this close to me!

I will be bringing video and still cameras for sure! Thanks for the advice guys!

steelandcanvas

Yellowbronc and company just had a Pismo excursion a couple of weeks ago. He posted some great photos, look them up. BTW, while at Pismo, Old Juan's Cantina is a must-eat for excellent Mexican food. If you like great Clam Chowder, don't forget Brad's in downtown Pismo. If you go to Brad's for breakfast, I highly recommend the Tri-Tip Steak and Eggs. (Wife and I used to live in Arroyo Grande and these were our favorite places to eat)

hole

Pm Yellowbronc, he's the un-official mayor of Pismo, and our resident "Deuce in the sand expert". Nathan ( Yellowbronc) goes there frequently and can answer all your questions. If you bring some brown or pale ale's, and shovel wienies He'd probably meet you out there :)

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like a half track would work good for a recovery vehicle in sand. i havent had any experience driving my deuce in sand, but just thinking it would be. I know the thread was covered before, but a deuce half track would be sweet! Like a set of tracks that could be installed in the field over the tires....maybe ill research it now! :twisted:

armytruck63

Seems like a half track would work good for a recovery vehicle in sand. i havent had any experience driving my deuce in sand, but just thinking it would be. I know the thread was covered before, but a deuce half track would be sweet! Like a set of tracks that could be installed in the field over the tires....maybe ill research it now! :twisted:
Funny you mention that! When I was a kid, one of the club members near Pismo owned a WWII half-track that was previously owned by Steve McQueen. It had a brass plaque inside that said, "The difference between the men and the boys is the price of the toys."

The owner towed the half-track to Pismo with on a low boy trailer behind his vintage Peterbuilt. The half-track worked great in the dunes and on the beach. We pulled at least one souped-up 4X4 out of the sand.

I must find and post pictures. This was more than 30 years ago.

really? I live in Santa Ynez, about 30 minutes south of Santa Maria, and Pismo is where I plan on going! I didnt know there were any SS members this close to me!

I will be bringing video and still cameras for sure! Thanks for the advice guys!
Offroad Magazine Heavy metal Weekend is this weekend at Pismo. Usually camp at the end Pole 6 or So.

I will be out there.

As Far as Sand running goes...I can tell you, they work great backwards and tend to burry in forward WHEN NOT AIRED DOWN. Aired down, they go just about anywhere out their.

I tend NOT to air down simply because it takes so much time. I would suggest running 20 in the front, leaving the rears at 50 and situating yourself where you can back out if need be.

A couple years ago, heavy metal weekend had a guy out in a duece plowing all over with 17 psi front and 45 psi rear....nothing on bed. As you can see, I have some weight in the rear of mine.

Santa ynez....nice to know someone is close....also gives me a reason to do a road trip....We should meet somewhere.....

Been thinking of hitting NIRA or Davey Brown in the near future as well.

YB

bratpackdad

I went down to 25psi on all ten then drove around Gordons Well Dunes. Never got stuck but I agree with YB; don't try any hill climbing it just digs a grave. Also, bring a chair for changing the air, it takes a loooooong time. 2cents

Josh

Ive been able to back up hills I've been unable to drive up. Its wierd feeling thats for sure. The other advantage of not airing down the inside duals, if ya do have to make a quick trip to town, you just need to air up the fronts for a quick pavement jaunt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks