• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Injector Pump Timing issue.

Jeeagle

So, I've been brought in on a M35a2 LDT Deuce that some one has removed the injector pump off of, losing many parts. Currently I have a replacement pump unit, but the weird thing is when they took the old pump off they left the part that has the shaft bolted to the Cam gear. (HH is section is bolted to it, than the part is bolts to timing case?)

I've looked / searched a bit and could not find the info / pictures I need. I was hoping some one could give me the simple way to time a whole new injector pump. I believe that there is a mark to be found in the four bolt window, and than there are marks on the balancer. (I also have found a dot on the cam gear as well) but am unsure of how to correlate it all together. I also read the three bolts are used for adjusting final timing as well?

I have never taken a unit off before and I have no clue what all they did wrong. Here are some photos if the info I do have. The new Reman unit is off the truck.

I don't want to make things worse after these folks had it someone take it apart. Which is why I am asking for help/info.

WP_000576.jpgWP_000578.jpgWP_000580.jpgWP_000585.jpg

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

It looks like Jeeagle has everything. I happen to be in the middle of retiming my deuce IP. It is a 1969 M756a2. Along the way I found the harmonic balancer had delaminated, so that I could not depend upon the alignment marks for aligning the pump. Since your deuce is a year older, then it might have the same problem. The TM tells you how to set top dead center, if the alignment marks cannot be depended upon.

If you do not mind me hijacking this thread toward my issue, it might help you when you get there.

My current problem is, I have the pump now aligned; however, the TM says, "now pull out the gear." Well, it needs more than finger, and it looks like it is going to need a gear puller. Has anyone found a gear puller that fits, or fabricated one?

Last edited:

Jeeagle

It looks like Jeeagle has everything. I happen to be in the middle of retiming my deuce IP. It is a 1969 M756a2. Along the way I found the harmonic balancer had delaminated, so that I could not depend upon the alignment marks for aligning the pump. Since your deuce is a year older, then it might have the same problem. The TM tells you how to set top dead center, if the alignment marks cannot be depended upon.

If you do not mind me hijacking this thread toward my issue, it might help you when you get there.

My current problem is, I have the pump now aligned; however, the TM says, "now pull out the gear." Well, it needs more than finger, and it looks like it is going to need a gear puller. Has anyone found a gear puller that fits, or fabricated one?

Not at all! I hopefully will have some more reference here soon and will post as much as I can.

Beyond Biodiesel

Mine needed a gear puller. $65.00 later I have a new tool. A small gear puller.
Thanks. It is nice to know that I need a gear puller. It would be useful to know what make, model, or size worked. I noticed that there is not a lot of room to work in. It looks like the gear puller will need to be about 5" wide and the screw no more than 5"long.

Beyond Biodiesel

It turns out that I did not need a gear puller. I found the gear will shimmy out as long as I had some grip on it. I bent 2 pieces of 1/8" dia. wire into a U-shape with sharply bent corners. I used one leg as a handle, and the other leg I inserted between the gear teeth and the housing, then at the bottom I turned it in so that it fit under the gear, then with gentle equal pulling on both sides of the gear, and all around it, I was able to pull the gear out.

Jeeagle

******* I would like to send a huge thanks to gimpyrobb for lending me a Injector pump to tinker and get aquainted with it and use to fashion a easy puller for the gear hub. I also now have learned how to remove and install the Fly-Wieght Gov set on teh end of the pump that bolts to the engine. He also donated a bracket to the Marines trying to get this Deuce back in action. Thanks you sir!!*************

So Mission was Success. Sorry about the long Delay. This turned out easier than thought once you get ducks in a row. I have thrown in some photos. I removed the gear hub off the old injector pump using long bolts and a balancer puller rented from local store. Came off super easy.

We first found TDC of engine by removing Valvecover and rotating looking for #1 cylinder rocker to go through intake than both loose-ish. Verified with Balancer on correct mark. I had to sand and etch out he timing marks on the balancer as there was several layers of paint. They are not painted on so you can sand all the way with no worries.
KIMG0013.jpg
Then Verified Timing on injector pump. Looking through the four hole window we lined the mark up with the "toothpick" and found the timing mark for cylinder 1 on the HH gear.
KIMG0017.jpg
We bolt the pump on the engine and line gear up on hub holes so that we have room for movement both directions. Turning the Injector pump until Four bolt Window hole mark is perfectly lined up I then tighten down the three bolts.

KIMG0015.jpg
After bleeding air out she started up and ran great!
KIMG0019.jpg
https://youtu.be/fHDyaFxoHF8

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks