• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce is overcharging. voltage regulator?

DeuceNewb

my 71 m35 killed its batteries, and i finally noticed that when it is running the voltage gauge is in the red. Only when driving it with the high beams on and trailer lights as well did it stay in the upper green. I don't remember what my number was but i know it was over 24. Can I adjust the regulator or does it need replaced? Also, where is it?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you tested the voltage? SHould be 28.8 running. There is a hex nut on top of the alt, the adjuster is under there.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC it should be at 28.2 volts to properly charge the batteries and such. There is a procedure in the TM maint. manual under the electrical troubleshooting section to troubleshoot and adjust if necessary the voltage regulator.

TM 9-2320-361-24-1 Work package (WP) 12 page 12 00 -19 starts the alternator troubleshooting procedure. There is an adjustment on the alternator itself, it's spelled out pretty good in the TM

I hope this helps get you started

Jake0147

Before you go adjusting stuff, Cranetruck is right, a regulator regulates it's own voltage. It does not change the regulated voltage based on the system demand. Suspect poor high resistance connections somewhere. Probably solid ones, where they're good and tight, otherwise this would be intermittant (what you describe is conditional...).
Voltage drop testing is in order.
If you turn this down "unloaded", then when the voltage drops in a "loaded" condition, you're going to have all your loads turned on and the alternator is going to be out to lunch, only to return after it's not really needed any more...

DeuceNewb

ok i will go check the voltage while running. The problem is sometimes the voltage will run normal, but sometimes it just works its way to the red. I will also have to charge my batteries or get good ones so that way they aren't a factor.

roscoe

ok i will go check the voltage while running. The problem is sometimes the voltage will run normal, but sometimes it just works its way to the red. I will also have to charge my batteries or get good ones so that way they aren't a factor.
What was your solution - cause of the overcharging? I've got a similar problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks