• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce is smoking, but it wasnt before...

buddy_holly

Alright so I just did my first oil change two weeks ago on my M35A2 and didnt make too much of a mess. Yesterday I drove it around town, lots of low speeds, stopping and idling. Halfway through the night I notice the truck is smoking a lot.:confused: Black/bluish? as far as I could tell at night. It smoked at idle, acceleration and at any RPM. But it didnt smoke at all when I first got it a couple months ago, even under load. I also got it washed yesterday. Could the oil change or the wash cause this? I dont want to be driving around with a messed up turbo or some craziness. Also, I got the truck in MI and now Im in Tucson, so to my untrained ear she sounds rich, do I/can I tune something to adjust for warmer temps down here?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Low speed operation can cause it to smoke a bit, get it out on the highway and run it hard. There is a PS Mag article about the multi slobbering. It's kinda normal. Also remember, when a diesel exhaust is seen under lights at night, like parking lot lights or street lights, it will seem that there is excessive smoke out the tailpipe. Dunno why this happens, but it does and is a common complaint from some owners of newer trucks, like KW, Pete, etc

Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

stumps

What did you use as engine oil?
Any chance that the original owner put an oil thickener, such as Lucas in the engine oil?

-Chuck

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned above, running a multi, or any diesel for that matter, at low speed and excessive idling will cause wet-stacking. The engine is running too cold due to low loading. The cure is to run it faster for several miles, or under increased loading, so that it is running hotter. Wet-stacking can get so bad that unburned fuel (black wet crud) will blow out the exhause and get all over your truck. It can also get all overy you, or as my son-in-law learned the hard way about two weeks ago, don't roll down the window on the passenger side if you have wet-stacking!

Barrman

Load it full of something, pack a lunch and go drive 100 miles or so at full throttle (2300-2600 rpm). When you get done, the truck will sound happy and if it could, be wagging its tail like a just played with puppy. Your smoke should be gone by the time you get done and the idle will probalby be higher.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Load it full of something, pack a lunch and go drive 100 miles or so at full throttle (2300-2600 rpm). When you get done, the truck will sound happy and if it could, be wagging its tail like a just played with puppy. Your smoke should be gone by the time you get done and the idle will probalby be higher.
They do seem to like being driven.[thumbzup]

Barrman

Funny that this thread mentioned the "visible" smoke when looked at in night time. We drove the Whistler to the Scout meeting Tuesday evening. When backing it back in at home, Colton yells out as we are passing under the security light: "Dad! the truck is really smoking for some reason." I have never had a chance to see the stack while driving, but because of reading this thread a few hours earlier I told him it was just the light making it look like smoke when it was really clear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks