• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce light switch overheat?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not try to supply any converter off a light circuit.

I would draw directly from the batteries, and use a relay to switch it on(powered from the light circuit should be ok).

Or simply powered it on when the ignition is switched on(with a relay), since you need brake lights even when you headlights are not on.

Dodge man

When you install the new unit, measure it's current consumption and then install a fuse inline with it that has a slightly higher rating in order to protect the main light switch and the rest of the electrical system.

cmpman

I like doghead's idea. Signal the converter from the ignition thru a relay. Protect the main power to the relay (and hence to the converter) with a circuit breaker of reasonable amperage. I would not use a fuse since the blowing of the fuse would result in the loss of trailer lighting.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have access to the December 2005 issue of Military Vehicles Magazine, "The highway deuce" article covers light and other potential problems when on the road.
2005 december issue, the highway deuce.jpg2005 december issue, the highway deuce (1).jpg2005 december issue, the highway deuce (2).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks