• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce lighting/harness upgrade

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I decided a while ago that my deuce will not be getting “restored” and that all of the time/money I put into it should do one (or more) of the following three things…

maintain it, expand its capability, or make it safer.

After killing my driver’s side headlight (again) I decided to make a “few” modifications to the lighting on my truck. Namely replace/ upgrade the lights and add lights to the rear so I can see what I am about to run over at night. I did an H4 conversion on my civvy jeep about 4 years ago and have been very pleased with the results. That plus Cabell Garbee's work on his M37 led me to Susquehanna MotorSports. they were good to deal with, had what I needed, and got it to mee quickly.

If my front harness had been in good condition or if I had been concerned with maintaining stock appearance I would have just made up an adapter to use H4 bulbs with the “correct” wiring. This wasn’t really an issue for me as the insulation on my stock wiring was extremely cracked/brittle (especially on the driver’s side), my headlight buckets used Douglas connectors (annoying), and my previously mentioned deuce restoration apathy.

Having said that, here is what I used.

Headlights: Hella E-code H4 housings
Bulbs: Hella H4 “double power” 24V 75/70W
Rear/work lights: Hella 4 ¾” rubber housing work lamp w/ 24V H3 bulbs
Fuse/distribution panel: Cole Hersee 8 gang ATC fuse panel (from West Marine)
Relays: Hella 24V with snap in bases
Panel: See if you can guess
Various wire, terminals, grommets, screws

Here is what I did.

I ran a 6AWG wire from the battery to an 8gang distribution/fuse block (rated at 30A per circuit) that I mounted on the back wall of the cab. From the fuse panel I ran 12 AWG to 24 Volt relays. From the relays I ran 12AWG to the lamps. I routed wires along the passenger side frame rail. By setting it up this way I now have a relatively easy task if I decide to add other electrical devices as I have 5 open circuits on the panel that can easily be used by inserting a fuse and tying in. While I was at it I decided to prep the panel for future expansion by pre-drilling and installing grommets for another set of 4 relay bases. I currently have 4 bases installed, but only 3 relays installed.

Installing the housings themselves is just like installing a normal sealed beam I chose to cut the back out of the buckets to simplify/speedup the process if I need to change a bulb.
If you were trying to make this a hidden install you could easily route the wires though the grommet like the stock setup.

To trigger the headlight relays I tied into the OE headlight harnesses.
To trigger the work light relay I installed a simple toggle switch on the dash board. To power this switch I tied into the instrument panel light circuit (means the switch is not functional unless the 3 way switch is in a position that illuminates the dash lights, hopefully will prevent accidentally leaving them on)

In the end I am pleased

oh yeah,
Susquehanna MotorSports
www.rallylights.com

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is great work Joel. Bjorn kinda used this route and has a bypass switch so he can activate the relay of the headlight switch breaker trips or even if the switch takes a crap. Good work.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work Joel, what is the relay contact ratings?

I use mil spec relays in my system (blue in the image, one for head lights and one for the turn signals), which can conservatively handle a 10 amp lamp load, meaning 75 amp or higher inrush currents.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What's the PVC pipe thing-a-mabobber?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are plenty of references to "lamp loads" and how they effect contact ratings, here is one example:

"15.2.3.1 Incandescent Lamps
The cold resistance of a tungsten filament lamp is extremely low; this results in in-rush currents that may exceed 15 times the value of the steady-state current. Such high in-rush currents can cause contacts to erode rapidly, or even weld. Series, current-limiting resistors or a small, continuous current flow through the lamp can significantly reduce the inrush by keeping the lamp filament warm."

bottleworks

Any good Bosch style relay can handle the surge of those lights. Not everything needs to be "mill spec" for it to work well. Nice job BFR!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
but why do you need relays when you are changing headlights to ones that are approx the same current draw? i changed my bulbs to H4 6 mths ago and no problems.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
m-35tom said:
but why do you need relays when you are changing headlights to ones that are approx the same current draw? i changed my bulbs to H4 6 mths ago and no problems.
I don't know that you "need" it, but here are my reasons....

This transfers all the load (except what the relay needs to close) from my crusty/scaryfront harness (the passenger side where I tied in wasn't bad, but the driver's side was rough) to the one I made up (which is all at least 12AWG). If my harness was in very good condition I might not have done it this way.

Doing it this way means I have done most of the work already if I decide to add more circuits in the future. (that armor dome light that has been sitting on the shelf for over a year... another set of work lights pointed to the side.....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bottleworks said:
Any good Bosch style relay can handle the surge of those lights. Not everything needs to be "mill spec" for it to work well. Nice job BFR!
Well, it must have something to do with my engineering background in the aerospace industry...I happen to admire the engineering that went into building these vehicles and try not to add shabby parts or compromise the original design goals. Other than that, I have no comment.

The relays in my system are used to reduce the circuit breaker load within the 3-lever housing, a separte breaker is supplying the head lights and the 3-lever switch serves its function as before.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
update....
I made my first longer night time drive since the upgrade on saturday and I can't say enough good about this setup...wow especially the high beams.

Amxhunter

Headlights: Hella E-code H4 housings

I can find the Bulbs, but I have looked all over the site for these housings.

How about posting a P/N ? Please.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks