• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce-LMTV Size Comparison

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple of a deuce behind an LMTV.

I don't want to embarrass Reloader64, so I won't mention that his deuce quit on the way home from Temple, and I towed him back to DrJay's shop. ;)

Cheers

0000000000 2c - Copy.jpg0000000000 2cb - Copy.jpg

HDN

Thanks for the pictures!

According to an internet search, the M35 and the LMTV are supposed to be around the same size, but the picture makes the LMTV look a lot taller! Maybe it's just the perspective messing with my eyes... Or are those bigger tires than 395s?

That HET is huge though, no question about that! (Plus the dimensions I found back that up ;))

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to an internet search, the M35 and the LMTV are supposed to be around the same size, but the picture makes the LMTV look a lot taller! Maybe it's just the perspective messing with my eyes... Or are those bigger tires than 395s?
They really are pretty close in bed size, the FMTVs are just really tall, and the cab is enormous by M35 standards.
The cargo cover itself is about 11" taller than an M35's. I put an MTV cover on my M813, the sides came most of the way down the bed. (M813 and M35 fitted cargo covers are the same dimensions except in length).
That LMTV is on stock 395s.

Cheers

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 that I really like over the newer trucks.
I'd love to have HEMTT myself, but I don't have a place to put one atm. When I was shopping for a truck I decided to go for the M35 for the fuel mileage and you don't need a CDL (at least in my state) to drive one.

If the military starts auctioning HEMTT's again though, I might find the space.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't miss the hemit I had
Great to say I at least own one but not sad to see it go
Just curious... Any particular reason why? PITA to work on? Expensive / Hard to Find parts? Then again too, I know a lot of folks with boats who say the happiest days of their lives where the day they bought it - and the day they sold it. :)

For some reason I think it would be cool to have one. Especially one with the PLS.

Would maybe like a HET more though... Not quite sure which or even why... Other than maybe bigger attracts more attention?

HDN

Just curious... Any particular reason why? PITA to work on? Expensive / Hard to Find parts?
I think that's valid for anything bigger than a HMMWV. I've had to greatly expand my toolbox to accommodate my deuce. I'd love a HEMTT myself but I definitely need to move somewhere where it would be easy to work on. A big barn with a gantry crane would be ideal for me!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think that's valid for anything bigger than a HMMWV. I've had to greatly expand my toolbox to accommodate my deuce. I'd love a HEMTT myself but I definitely need to move somewhere where it would be easy to work on. A big barn with a gantry crane would be ideal for me!
YES! A barn or somewhere under a cover to work would be really nice. I have been studying how to go about removing the Jib on my M936. The packing on the cylinder is "leaking like a hole"...

I do have an A-Frame that fits tightly on a car. About the only way that will be useful is to cut and weld a larger (longer) pipe between the uprights :-(

And since the boom is about 20 feet long - I will need a second one to support the other end. It's tough to work on the crane when the crane breaks.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that's valid for anything bigger than a HMMWV.
I recall reading, somewhere, about someone that had gotten a HEMTT at auction, and later bought a non-running one for parts. He towed the 2nd one with the first, that'd be something to see going down the highway.

HDN

I'm hoping now that next year at the ESATA truck show that I'll be able to get a picture of my deuce next to a HEMTT and maybe I'll remember to post a picture here! I'm thinking my deuce might be a little taller than the HEMTT.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'd love to have HEMTT myself, but I don't have a place to put one atm. When I was shopping for a truck I decided to go for the M35 for the fuel mileage and you don't need a CDL (at least in my state) to drive one.

If the military starts auctioning HEMTT's again though, I might find the space.
HEMTTs are still sold at auction thru govdeals and GSA. And a few other sites.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
From the military or private sellers? I've seen a handful from private sellers, but I thought the government was done auctioning HEMTT's for the time being.
Forest service, county road, and police/fire department

Most have gone under 16k

Reactions: HDN

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hemtts can (rarely) be found in the 20k range but you have to dig for them and be ever vigilant. One just sold out of GSA Oklahoma 2 weeks ago. Fair market price is between 35k-45k though. Nothing is coming from the feds anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks