• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce load?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Rated load, fire wood, parades, seals and bearings, flat ground

I'm lost on how all that fits together?????? Been a bad week and 14 hours of nearly straight driving today with two typhoid Marys, maybe I'm just too mentally drained to Verstehe. The rated load is on the dash unless someone removed the dataplate and then it's in the TM.
Relax,
there is no point to a lot of this
relax

cbear

Weren't the M35A3s and later A2s only speced at 5000# for both on and off road? For the A3, I assume it's the different bearings and the singled out wheels.

red

I know on the demolition range we would regularly chain up to 20,000 pounds of practice bombs (concrete filled) behind the deuce and drag them over to a collection point. Up/down the mountain sides and across the salt flats in northern Utah. 35mph and less with no complaints from the old A2. Few thousand pounds of trash in the bed.

Yes properly you should never exceed 10k pounds in the bed, legal can get your ass if you ignore that.

Mercunimog404

Banned
I know on the demolition range we would regularly chain up to 20,000 pounds of practice bombs (concrete filled) behind the deuce and drag them over to a collection point. Up/down the mountain sides and across the salt flats in northern Utah. 35mph and less with no complaints from the old A2. Few thousand pounds of trash in the bed.

Yes properly you should never exceed 10k pounds in the bed, legal can get your ass if you ignore that.
Which jets carried 20,000 pound bombs? Do you mean 2,000?

rustystud

No worries. Was always entertaining following the deuce and watching the practice bombs bouncing off each other and the rocks
Ah... the crazy crap we did in the service ! If the civilians only knew the half of it ! That's the reason the trucks are so under rated. They hoped the knuckleheads driving the trucks would only overload them by half then they would be OK ! LOL !!!

Drunkle Scuzzy

I was once overloaded accidentally in an Isuzu NPR 5 ton dump truck I used to own. The load was landscape compost (ordered by the cubic yard) at a soil yard. Due to overnight rain the compost was wet, and heavier than the normal weight per cubic yard. It was loaded by a different driver at the yard and when I got behind the wheel I failed to double check the load slip showing the weight. If I remember correctly it was at least two tons over the weight rating. I didn't realize it until I got on Interstate 90. It was scary, handled terribly, and stopping distance was greatly increased. It felt extremely dangerous at highway speed. I slowed way down, put on my flashers, and decided to continue as it was only the next exit for the short delivery, which was closer than driving back to the yard overloaded. When I dumped the load, the front of the truck lifted off the ground over the heads of my crew (so lucky I wasn't working solo that day as I was in the drivers seat!), and stayed up in the air... not dumping the wet sticky load at all. I had my crew carefully start removing soil with long handled rakes, then the truck slowly slammed down on the front axle. Luckily nobody was injured and neither the vehicle nor any property was damaged.

Never again. I always double check the weight slip now. Granted this was a modern truck and not ex military, so was way over limit. Please be careful especially on public roads. We are indeed stewards to the public, and operating a machine beyond capacity can make it deadly.

Last edited:

drivebymashing

I also have a isuzu npr that weighed 7800 empty i put 12200 in the bed it handled it better than my deuce which weighed 13060 with me in it and i put 7800 in it.

red

Ah... the crazy crap we did in the service ! If the civilians only knew the half of it ! That's the reason the trucks are so under rated. They hoped the knuckleheads driving the trucks would only overload them by half then they would be OK ! LOL !!!
Hahahaha so true. The things we did to equipment.

rustystud

Frank. I watched this video many times before, but I still love watching it. Was this your father ? My father was in the Pacific Theater on a "LST" . He was at Leyte and Okinawa and a number of other landings along with MacArthur when he came back to the Philippines.

Last edited:

TsgtB

I took the wife to get some sand for our back yard, ended up getting 5 yards, the loader driver made them BIG scoops....
I found out when we got home (10 miles), that we were hauling about 17,550 of compacted wet sand....
I wondered why it was taking more to stop and slow on the get go... (on 395s).
I wont do that again, but i have to admit, its the first time i've seen it squat, and I was impressed how she pulled our hills.
We got lucky with all our local stop lights and I took extreme care in my braking distance. I was expecting dry sand (sandy loam soil), till i stuck a shovel in it and it was soaking wet and packed. Each shovel i scooped felt like 80 lbs or better.

Ryan123

ive had my deuce to 25k gross weight. Had several large diesel engines in the bed she was a bit heavy... brakes dont work too good when that heavy as COMMON SENSE would tell you since everyone thinks they need to remind you about it and be the law dog on the forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks