• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Loading Ramps?

SoundGuy

I have access to some old 55g tower sections (from the top it looks like a triangle that does not taper). I am planning on using 2 of them with a 2 x 12 mounted on one side and cutting the botom so it meets flat. Kinda heavy, but definatly heavy duty.

ratat98

As far as fitting a Jeep into the back, you shouldn't have much trouble.. I can literally walk completely around mine if it is parked in the middle of the bed.

what the deuce bed (older deuce) is lacking is a good set of anchor points for heavy loads....

--Jeep
Well I have a wrangler unlimited... I measured it yesterday and as far as I can tell I'm going to have to leave the tailgate hanging on the chains. The rear tire will sit right on the edge of the bed between the bed and the tailgate. Can the deuce tailgate take that kind of weight?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have a wrangler unlimited... I measured it yesterday and as far as I can tell I'm going to have to leave the tailgate hanging on the chains. The rear tire will sit right on the edge of the bed between the bed and the tailgate. Can the deuce tailgate take that kind of weight?
The tailgate can, but those chains can't. You'll rip the hook open or rip the chain off.

plym49

Drive onto a board - say 3/4 inch plywood - or a couple of scrap pieces of flat plate/diamond plate that spans the bed and the tail gate. Then even the stock Deuce tailgate chains should be OK.

ratat98

Can You back the jeep on? It may not help anyways, but I kinda think the back wheels are closer to the back than the front wheels are to the front.
Nope, the spare tire sticks out the back too far. I'm not really sure though, I'll have to measure it.

plym49 said:
Drive onto a board - say 3/4 inch plywood - or a couple of scrap pieces of flat plate/diamond plate that spans the bed and the tail gate. Then even the stock Deuce tailgate chains should be OK.
Thanks plym! I'm going to see what happens by backing up to a ditch first and see how things really fit!

rolling18

The Bronco Crawler in my Avitar Pic was loaded using homemade square tube ramps. 10' long and 12" wide, they don't even flex and weigh about 100lbs. ea.

Attachments

rolling18

Here are mine. Fiberglass 12' long car ramps with a 6,000 lb capacity per set when joined. I have two sets. I wanted them to fit in the bed or I would have gone with 14's as the 12's are "walk-able" but a little steep when loading.
those are very nice!:p
where did you get them?
how much?2cents2cents2cents

I need lighter weight ones due to recent back injury:deadhorse:(I'm the horse)
and wouldn't mind the extra length

barefootin

those are very nice!:p
where did you get them?
how much?2cents2cents2cents

I need lighter weight ones due to recent back injury:deadhorse:(I'm the horse)
and wouldn't mind the extra length
I bought them at a local to me moving company some months back. They were dirt cheap. I think I paid $100 or $150 per set. I'm getting old and too lazy to find my original posting. Call around to some local moving companies. They usually have some that the anti-skid is worn and they normally do not resurface them. The same goes for walk ramps... You might get lucky.

srodocker

i made some wood ramps out of heat treated 6x10 pieces. then added Angle underneath for more strength and 1x3 for steps on the top of it. we'll see how it works :(

SteveKuhn

KISS ramps

10" x 13' Spruce OSHA scaffold planks. A tad spring-ey but very sturdy. These were taken w/ the M105 but they were built for and we use them on the Deuce and a CCKW. Also shortened them to 11' 6" so they didn't hang out over the tailgate. Too much hassle to load and close the tailgate with 2 guys.

Steve

Attachments

rolling18

10" x 13' Spruce OSHA scaffold planks. A tad spring-ey but very sturdy. These were taken w/ the M105 but they were built for and we use them on the Deuce and a CCKW. Also shortened them to 11' 6" so they didn't hang out over the tailgate. Too much hassle to load and close the tailgate with 2 guys.

Steve
i dont know what a CCKW is but how much does it weigh?
those look like simple homade ramps? (look nice)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i dont know what a CCKW is but how much does it weigh?
those look like simple homade ramps? (look nice)
A CCKW is basically the "WW II Deuce"" - but I suspect that the OP means that he uses the ramps for the CCKW cargo bed. I doubt that he tries to drive a CCKW (or anything really heavy, for that matter) up those ramps.

SteveKuhn

M105, Deuce & CCKW are carrying vehicles.

Load: A mule is fine. Attached is a frame from a video of the mule parked in the middle. Elsewhere on the clip is the driver jumping up and down on the ramp beside it. We think we could do a Jeep with a single reinforcement pylon in the middle of each side. Might give that a try this summer.

Weight: Don't know the assembled weight but 1 guy can handle it because everything comes apart. When assembled, one guy can shift it a few inches in any direction or drop it down. Heaviest piece is one of the 2 x 10 x 13s.

I wouldn't use standard Home Depot wood for these loads in these dimensions because the spruce has the give.

Note the straps attached to eyebolts on the top 2 x 4 and vehicle frame. Keeps it from kicking out.

2 x 4s are kept from falling off the bottom by 1/4 x 20 carriage bolts & wing nuts.these spread the weight across all 4 boards and keep them from moving apart.

Assembly is about 12 - 15 mins with 2 guys who have the rhythm down. Cost: Under $150.

Now that we've made these, I think the design could be improved for faster setup/teardown by tweaking the cross boards or replacing them with steel so they drop in from on top, but . . .

Attachments