• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce locking fuel cap

RAYZER

Ever wonder what if ? when some Hater would sneak up and stick a waterhose in your tank ? Or take a wizz in it ? Or sneak up at 3 in the morning and siphon out all of your precious peenut oil ?

Well heres what i came up with to help prevent such catastrophe

materials i used: 2" x 1.25" angle, 3/4 x 3/8 bolt with nut, piece from deuce upper exhaust stack bracket .

mocked everything up to fit, welded nut so could'nt be taken off, welded angle to fuel tank strap and walah! Zombie proof fuel tank!

( caution ! take fuel tank strap off before welding on it ! ) Dissclaimer: not responsible for any exsplosions!

ps: Deuce da kat

Attachments

TexAndy

Pretty slick.

Someone could still just unbolt the strap, tho. Or if they were interested in stealing fuel, drain from the bottom.

Get more guard cats.

RAYZER

ya but, if the system was defeated you would know and then you could go from there, if a defence was not in place, then you would'nt know and THAT might be bad.

Westex

Rayzer--I kind of studied your pics and first off, that's some nice work. Have some questions, and before I ask, I assume all risk of blowing myself up. Now, having said that, and in a PURELY hypothetical vein, can't you just undo the strap bolt, lift it up, put down a welding blanket that's wet over the tank, and weld it up? Or a piece of plywood? I like your work. I may do this with my suggestions, in a totally hypothetical way, of course.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep been using one very similar to yours for 10 years now. There was a thread or two on different style fuel locks some time ago.

Maccus:

Does your Fuel Filler Lock Bar pivot on the Fuel Tank Strap Bolt when unlocked?

This seems a simple approach without the need for welding.

Although, yes it can be released with a wrench, it is still a simple deterent to keep the honest man honest. A determined thief will find an alternate means of ingress/egress. 2cents aua :deadhorse: :doh:

RAYZER

Rayzer--I kind of studied your pics and first off, that's some nice work. Have some questions, and before I ask, I assume all risk of blowing myself up. Now, having said that, and in a PURELY hypothetical vein, can't you just undo the strap bolt, lift it up, put down a welding blanket that's wet over the tank, and weld it up? Or a piece of plywood? I like your work. I may do this with my suggestions, in a totally hypothetical way, of course.

ok, thought about what to post in reply to your question westex, and my answer is NO, i would caution anyone not to weld around fuel, though diesel is somewhat non exsplosive , some multi fuel owners run wmo mixed with gas,

KABOOM!

so stay on the side of caution and safty and take that strap off before welding!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I doubt there are two caps with the two vertical tabs attached in the same place on the top of the cap. I must have a dozen caps around here and all have the tabs located at different positions. So you have to make your strap to fit the cap you use. And more than likely should you replace the cap the strap will not fit correctly.
AGREED - I already KNOW that mine are oriented differently than those shown. They are "nicely" aligned at the "horizontal" 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock positions.

Thanks again!

americana

We have had a real problem with fuel theft in Michigan. My boat got drained last summer 110 gallons so i set up a sting operation cought a guy twice my age. I asked is this your boat he said yes just transfering fuel i laughed and called the cops.
"wmo" in my deuce see how far that will get ya...2cents

A piece of damp plywood or a welding blanket even dry should be fine. Forget all that hogwash you see in the movies about diesel tanks getting a spark and the huge movie explosion. The simple and unentertaining truth is DIESEL DOESN'T EXPLODE! An old neighbor of mine used to work in a truck stop and when a driver would come in with a cracked fuel tank (back when they were all hemmed sheet steel), he'd pull the bolts out of the clamps, turn the tank till the fuel stopped dripping from the fracture, then wipe it off with a rag, fire up a torch, grab a braising rod and his shades, and laugh his butt off at everyone around running in terror as he braised the crack closed. then he'd just smooth it off with a little emry cloth and shoot a little spray paint on it. He lived to a ripe old age of 79 and would have gone longer if it weren't for cancer. My point being that unless you've got a Multifuel with a considerable amount of gasoline in your fuel mixture, it will only combust under compression and heat, just like in the combustion chamber of a diesel engine. I would lift the strap before welding just to save the paint on the tank. That would be the worst possibility for damage.
:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks