• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce lube?

Rockfeild

I was told to use GL-1 but my local store says all they carry is GL-5 and they tell me that GL-5 is the new replacement for GL-1.
is this right? should i use GL-5?
i never trust the guy at the local auto parts store if you know what i mean.

how many gallons of 15/40 does a deuce hold?
i want to bring enough with me just encase when i pick my deuce up next week.

thanks again!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL-5 will be fine as long as it has an MT1 rating making it safe for yellow metals. Deuce holds 5 1/2 gallons of any type of oil in the crank case

FreightTrain

Banned
GL-1 can be had at any farm supply place.Try them.Many tractors require GL-1.All GL-1 is,is Pure oil.GL-5 is oil with additives in it....in a nut shell.You will need 2 buckets of 80W90 GL1 if your going to do all 3 axles,Trans,Transfer,Steering box(I just use grease in the steering box),Winch(if you got one).Use 15W40 in the engine.Takes a bucket and 2 quarts.Also,although you didn't ask,Make sure you use and check the coolant for SCA.Regular antifreeze is a big no no in any diesel.No matter if it is a deuce or a watercooled 4 Cylinder genny.Napa sells Precharged coolant,The test strips and extra additive incase after filling the level is not up to snuff.

jj

Uh, what? Anti-freeze, what now? I know why they don't use anti-freeze in railroad diesels, but why a NO-NO in other diesels? My 6.2 came with regular old ethylene glycol. The civilian 6.5 uses the pink junk from GM, but only until i get around to a flush. What did i miss?

jasonjc

Diesels need some additives called SCA ( I think thats what it called) Always use a anti-freeze that is for a diesels.

rneely

Charged Antifreeze?

What will happen if you don't use a charged antifreeze. I added 3 gallons to top off my Deuce at recovery and then drove 550 miles, no problems yet.

FreightTrain

Banned
If you run non-SCA coolant in a diesel you will develop holes between the Cylinder and the water jacket.The coolant actually jack hammers it's way into the cylinder.Called Cavitation.

THEROAD

You can use regular green stuff and add SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additive). I use Cat SCA 6%-8% by volume. SAC levels pH to inhibit corrosion, stops mineral deposits (a real killer in old radiators), cavitation errosion of wet cylinders, and foaming. I have Cat 3208's in boat so Cat SCA goes in the deuse's.

JasonS

Excerpts from Cummins Service Bulletin 3666132-01:

RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE PRACTICES FOR COOLING SYSTEMS OF PARENT BORE (NONLINED) ENGINES
Note:L See also Operation and Maintenance Manual, B Series Engines, Bulletin No. 3810205.
The B Series engine normally does not require SCA because the engine normally does not experience cast-iron cavitation corrosion. The Cummins B Series engine has not shown any tendency toward cast-iron cavitation corrosion. Also, the B Series engine does not have an integral coolant filter.
Therefore, the B Series engine coolant recommendation is to use low-silicate antifreeze meeting ASTM D4985 specifications and to drain and replace it every 320,000 km [200,000 mi], 2 years, or 6000 hours of operation (whichever occurred first).
Use of fully formulated coolant in this engine is acceptable but not required. Cooling systems perform best with distilled or deionized water mixed 50/50 with antifreeze.
The primary purpose of antifreeze is to lower the freezing point of the coolant. Additional performance characteristics of coolants that are affected by the use of antifreeze include boiling point and vapor pressure. Antifreeze decreases vapor pressure, which is very beneficial to the reduction of cavitation.
A 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water provides optimum boiling and freezing point protection for engines. An antifreeze concentration in excess of 60 percent must never be used since it increases the possibility of forming cooling system gel, which results as silicates precipitate out of solution. However, an antifreeze concentration less than 40 percent increases the possibility of coolant freezing and liner pitting. Therefore, Cummins recommends an antifreeze concentration range of 40 to 60 percent.

FreightTrain

Banned
actually,SCA and most Regular Green stuff are not compatable.Make sure you test the stuff.Put some 50/50 mix of coolant into a jar and then add a little bit of SCA additive and shake.make sure it doesn't form some sludgy crud.Some mixtures will form a brown slime that clogs your coolant system.Here is a interesting article about Cavitation.Really doesn't matter if it is a wet/Dry/or Sleeveless.

JasonS

Every instance that I have read regarding cavitation erosion is in relation to wet liners. I believe, but cannot immediately find the reference, that this is due to the cast iron of a parent bore engine being intrinsically more immune to corrosion than the steel in a liner. Aside from SCA, you can decrease the likelihood of cavitation erosion by increasing the pressure of the system (ie. different rad cap). Cavitation erosion is the exact phenomena used in ultrasonic cleaning.

jj

Okay, it seems to be a chemical/hydraulic combination phenomenon that affects linered engines. Will it have the same effect on an engine like the 6.2 and 6.5 that i believe are just the solid casting bored out and fitted with a piston? The owners manual in the civilian 6.5 makes no reference whatsoever to any kind of coolant additive, and i honestly haven't looked at the manuals i have or are available here, for information on the 6.2 in my 1009. The civilian 6.5 has a trip or two around the block short of 250,000 miles. It was fleet maintained by a school bus company prior to my ownership and runs like a champ. I mean a quarter of a million miles and it only used two quarts of lube oil in a 5600 mile road trip this past summer. I have to believe if it was cavitating itself apart, it would be making itself apparent by 250,000 miles.

Rockfeild

Thank for the info on the coolant i am getting my recovery stuff together this weekend for the trip to pick up my deuce.
now i know ill have the right coolant. :)

FreightTrain

Banned
The Ford 7.3L IDI was bad about it.Some last forever,some last 200K,some cavitated with under 50K miles.Mostly they were bad about it cause IHC bored out the 6.9L which gave the engine thin cylinder walls.

Rockfeild

The Ford 7.3L IDI was bad about it.Some last forever,some last 200K,some cavitation with under 50K miles.Mostly they were bad about it cause IHC bored out the 6.9L which gave the engine thin cylinder walls.
if you don't have coolant i'm in Florida is it OK to just add water?
or should i really bring SAC coolant that's for a diesel

FreightTrain

Banned
SCA and coolant doesn't matter what the outside temps are.You gotta have it.Antifeeze as everyone calls it actually helps cool engines better than water.Plus if you use straight water it will just rust the engine out from the inside.Antifeeze/Coolant has chemicals to stop oxidation

Rockfeild

SCA and coolant doesn't matter what the outside temps are.You gotta have it.Antifeeze as everyone calls it actually helps cool engines better than water.Plus if you use straight water it will just rust the engine out from the inside.Antifeeze/Coolant has chemicals to stop oxidation
i understand that, i worked on a lot of small block ford race cars but never diesel. water should be fine if i need it on the ride back for cooling from the recovery as long as i do a flush when i get her home? i plan on going through and replacing all fluids when i get back home anyway.