• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce M35A3 Tires

Rustygears

The stock crappo michelins are virtually impossible to get with a recent date code. As a result most are rotten, even though they may have lots of tread. The 14.5 size exactly crosses to the modern size 365/80 R20. Continental makes a purpose-specific replacement in that size and that is commercially available through their distributors as new stock. I bought two for my A3 in August and the date codes were from April 2011. They have the same diameter and tread width as the Michelin. The tire is called an MPT-81 and they even have mil NSNs molded in.

Welder Sam

So if a 395 wont fit an A3 wheel because of the bead, what wheel is made that they DO fit at the bead and who sells it? Eastern? c&c? Imp? Who? Everytime i see a question abt 395's all that ever posted is "the bead is wrong" or some variant. Share the wealth fellas and point us in the right direction PLEASE

a1abdj

It is important to know the date the tires were made prior to purchasing them.

I was lucky enough that I was able to assemble a set of fairly new tires for mine. I have (5) 2008s, and (2) 2006s. I have seen tires as old as the mid 1990s on these trucks.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if a 395 wont fit an A3 wheel because of the bead, what wheel is made that they DO fit at the bead ...........
"Made...?" Custom made, yes.... 10" wide, 2 pc (bolt together) out of HEMTT, FMTV, 900series 5ton, etc. All needing to be "recentered" to fit the 6 on 8.75" Deuce bolt pattern.

G.

Last edited:
"Made...?" Custom made, yes.... 10" wide, 2 pc (bolt together) out of HEMTT, FMTV, 900series 5ton, etc. All needing to be "recentered" to fit the 6 on 8.75" Duece bolt pattern.

G.
To the best of my knowledge, there are NONE made that are DOT legal for use other than off-road use only. Have any sort of incident on public roads and the non-DOT rating is noticed, and you could be in very big trouble. Yes, there are many that will work. Never heard of anyone getting in trouble over this. However, a simple examination of 395s on the A3 wheel reveals a gap of .75 to 1.0" between the bead of the tire and that of the wheel. One very important thing to keep in mind is that these 395 tires are for 5 ton trucks, so they are vastly over built for any deuce. That said, I would not.think this would be a safety issue. Just my opionion...

"Made...?" Custom made, yes.... 10" wide, 2 pc (bolt together) out of HEMTT, FMTV, 900series 5ton, etc. All needing to be "recentered" to fit the 6 on 8.75" Duece bolt pattern.

G.
To the best of my knowledge, there are NONE made that are DOT legal for use other than off-road use only. Have any sort of incident on public roads and the non-DOT rating is noticed, and you could be in very big trouble. Yes, there are many that will work. Never heard of anyone getting in trouble over this. However, a simple examination of 395s on the A3 wheel reveals a gap of .75 to 1.0" between the bead of the tire and that of the wheel. One very important thing to keep in mind is that these 395 tires are for 5 ton trucks, so they are vastly over built for any deuce. That said, I would not.think this would be a safety issue. Just my opionion...

The inside diameter is identical between the 14.5 and 395.

cywk

Just a little of subject does any body know of any tires or rims in W.V. Ive got a M35A3 with 14.5 R 20 tires I need a tire and rim (ctis)for spare and all that I find are so far away this means $$$$ can any one help. On the subject of continental tire how much.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If anyone is interested in tires, please let me know. :D

FWIW, I have mounted 395's on A3 wheels. As well as A2 wheels.

HFDm715

after hearing that that Michelin no longer made the a3 tires, I called them directly, they told me that they DO still make the tires, and that a commercial tire dealer can order them, they told me they just got a fresh shipment and have them in there Houston wharehouse. I called the Tiire Supplier that we use at the Port Authority, set up an account with our FD, and have two tires on their way. I will let you know the dates on the tires when we get them.

Duane

CobraCDR

I guess I'll have to keep looking. I found a few places that could get the Michelin XZLs in the 14.5R20, but it was over $1,500 a tire! I was unable to find anypone who would order the origional Michelin XLs.

With the Continentals, any information on the bead for them? Proper match for the stock A3 rims?

Rustygears

I bought my conti mpt-81 new for around $650 each fresh new stock in August. Shipping for two cost another $100. I mounted both by myself. No more cracked and rotten sidewalls on my steer axle!

trukhead

...And people were bitchin when I asked $700.00 each for the 12 I own with 2003 date codes for unmounted on the skid Michelin 14 x 5 -20's. Guess I'm glad I didn't cut the side walls out and give em to the neighbor hood kids as sand boxes. I'll probably do that with the old cracky ones. At least I have a bunch of spare tires. I was just breakin even on the tires as well. Ba f$^&#&n Humbug!:rolleyes::deadhorse:aua:tin hat:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks