• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Manufactures?

YankeeDuece

Went to the local Salvage yard today and found an old deuce tractor.
I found a data plate on the frame behind the cab.

Year 1957
Model M46
Manuf. Utica-Bend

Now I know the Deuce was made by Reo, Studebaker, Kaiser and AMGeneral, however, who else had a piece of the action?

area52

Just as a little history note - Kaiser-Jeep military division became AM General when AMC took over Jeep around 1970.

They eventually split off and became the company that made the Humvee.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my list. If anyone cares to add, go for it!

Reo
Studebaker
Studebaker-Packard
Curtiss-Wright
Utica Bend
Kaiser-Jeep
General Products Div of American Motors
AM General

Low-Tech-Redneck

area52 said:
Just as a little history note - Kaiser-Jeep military division became AM General when AMC took over Jeep around 1970.

They eventually split off and became the company that made the Humvee.
The split was in the early 80's at the time, AMC was in financial trouble and was entertaining a merger with French automaker Renault, as a result, AMC had to devest themselves of thier millitary division since they would be selling control to a foreign company, and that was not allowed at the time.

The lack of revenue from millitary contracts was just one of the reasons why AMC/Renault was a failure, and after it crashed and burned, Chrysler corp bought the remains in 1983 just to get thier hands on the Jeep name.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, would sure like to see pics of this tractor. M46s weren't tractors at all. It was either converted or is an M275 or M48. The M48 is a super rare bird that would be quite a find for the right collector. I've never seen one!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes curious about these things, I looked up the differences between the M48 and M275. :)
The M48 has a 154 inch wheelbase vs 142 for the M275.
The fuel tank is on the "normal" side on the M48 and the spare is mounted behind the driver.
Images below.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before I got the M275A2 I wanted to use a cargo truck and make my own M48A2. Would still like to someday but for now, I'll be happy with what I have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks