• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DEUCE:Metal 'clacking' sound in 5th gear high/low only??? Any ideas what it might be?

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

Funny, but that is just what I do.

I have found it very easy to change slow and using the double clutching method.

I can drive the work trucks all day as I do with 'racing changes' but the way these feel they just work smoother with the 'slower is smoother, smoother is faster' method.

As long as there is little to no load on it yes, any torsional load will make it hard to pull out of gear, I find that if you back off the throttle a little to unload the torsion and match the input and output shafts it makes it very easy to change.

Aussie.
My instructors in the Marines taught me how to shift without using the clutch at all. You had to be able to start from 1st gear then upshift to 5th then downshift to second without using the clutch. If you "ground" the gears at anytime you failed.
I actually had to do this when the clutch failed on my truck when I was taking a platoon out to the desert to "blow-up" stuff.
We where miles out and the clutch froze (never did find out why as I was transferred-out before it got repaired) and would not release. At the camp I tried to find out what was wrong but without tools could do nothing. So after the guys learned how to set booby traps and claymores we loaded everyone back in the truck and I started the truck up in first gear and went back to the barracks (40 miles) dropped off the platoon and then drove to the motor pool and dropped off the deuce. At every stop sign and light I had to stop the engine and restart the truck in 1st gear. Thankfully the batteries where fully charged and in good condition ! The "butter Bar" in charge was quite impressed with my performance and told me so when we got back. I told him I was just doing what I was trained for.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

My instructors in the Marines taught me how to shift without using the clutch at all. You had to be able to start from 1st gear then upshift to 5th then downshift to second without using the clutch. If you "ground" the gears at anytime you failed.

And that's how I drive the trucks at work!

Aussie.

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

And that's how I drive the trucks at work!

Aussie.
Once you get the "feel" of your transmission it really isn't all that hard to do. I think that's what the driver instructors wanted anyway. For the students to learn to "feel" the transmission and truck in general. You make better drivers and the equipment lasts longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks