• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce modern equivalent?

chicklin

Just curious, what would you guys say is the modern civilian equivalent of a deuce? In other words, if I wanted to buy a 2.5 ton off-road truck (4x4 or 6x6) with all the modern conveniences, what would I buy?

I did a little Googling and it looks like the GM C4500 Kodiak is pretty close but it looks like you have to pay for an aftermarket conversion to get a regular pickup bed (or build your own, I guess). Is there something similar in 6x6? Anything else that sort of fits this mold or do I need Rolling_Eudamonia to build it for me? :)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't think they really compare to a deuce International makes a pretty mean 6X6. They also build some trucks for the military.

When you get into the bigger trucks KW and some others make some good all-wheel drive oilfield type trucks.

chicklin

While I don't think they really compare to a deuce International makes a pretty mean 6X6. They also build some trucks for the military.

When you get into the bigger trucks KW and some others make some good all-wheel drive oilfield type trucks.
Good call on the Internationals. Checked out their site and the DuraStar and WorkStar trucks look to be pretty close. Awesome looking trucks. I'd like to see one decked out with a cargo bed, winch and some big off-road tires.

Still not as cool as a deuce (and waaaay more expensive), but I always kind of wondered what the alternatives were.

avengeusa

the army thinks the fmtv is better.....

you can get a truck and install a marmon herrington t case and front axle

saddamsnightmare

January 13th, 2010.

My vote would be for a good USED Unimog U1300L, it has the capacity of a deuce with a four wheel drive unit that's much better then the deuce's six or any converted civillian truck, plus they are designed for about 30 years of life and then rebuild for another 30. If you can find one with ultra high speed axles (usually seen in ambulances and fire trucks) it will cruise at 70 MPH all day long, and gets a llittle better mileage as the engine's not bruiser large. The difference between the $30,000 used Unimog and a new civillian truck of lesser capacity equals either a lot of spare parts or a lot of conversion options.
Check YouTube under Unimog U1300L if you want to see just how agile these trucks are.....
built like a Panzer tank.

Just 2cents worth,

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

chicklin

Peterbuild will build a custom truck, if you have enough money.
Wonder what it would take to build a stripped-down, modern workhorse like the deuce? Cargo bed, 6x6, power steering, air/hydraulic disc-brakes (or drums), heat, A/C, big diesel, automatic overdrive transmission.

But, I don't want all the fancy creature comforts like the GM and International trucks mentioned above (no leather, DVD players, GPS, power windows/locks, etc.). Nobody seems to make a work-only truck like that.

chicklin

If your going the Major-Mod route.... The duece drivetrain, chassis etc would be a great platform for adding the creature comforts on top - just pick your luxury cab and bed and scab them on. IMHO
You're probably right, but you can build just about anything you want. I was wondering if there was anything "off-the-shelf" that even compared to a deuce. Something with an updated chassis, drivetrain, etc., a water/air tight cab and some simple comforts (better seats, A/C), but not a luxury vehicle or over-the-road truck. Just a simple, modern 6x6 workhorse.

Maybe there isn't a demand for it out there, I don't know. I'd sure be interested, if it was reasonably priced.

Edit: ah, I see my last post was confusing. I meant what would it take (cost-wise) for a manufacturer (not me) to build and sell said truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One option might be a "glider kit".

These are cabs mounted on frames and you put your own engine/driveline on.

This used to be common with Class 8 trucks but with all the new emission regulations you might end up with a vehicle with 1970's running gear and 2000ish VIN.
That might make it difficult to get it registered.
Just my thoughts.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K.I.S.S method: Keep It Simple Stupid. Thats why nothing can directly compare. Theres no point in having a pocket knife with 100 tools if all you need is a simple blade in a moments notice. Just more stuff to get in the way or go wrong.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
off the shelf you would have to order something like a CXT with the extra axle. While you were at it, you could then delete all the fu-fru junk and leave only the a/c and heat. That would be the basic IH "rental moving truck" cab package. Although I would keep the power windows and door lock on the passenger side as it is hard to reach while driving.

You can order a deuce the way you want, from memphis equipment. Tell them you also want the 4.10 gears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks