• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Motorpool Type Restro so far

panzerjunky

Looks really good! [thumbzup] Did you needle scale or sand blast??
Sanded and needle scaled I wanted to sand blast I have the cabinet and a pot type ( what a mess that makes) But my goal was to show that you can get sorta decent results without hauling parts all over town or any real special EQ. As I honestly Feel life is to short for an ugly Deuce LOL. So anyone any where can fix up there rigs it just take a little time.
Thanks Jerry

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely fantastic. I can tell you spent a bunch of time and $$ getting her to that condition. Great Job!!:beer:

197thhhc

As someone who has a deuce in their barn in a million pieces. I am glad to see others who take the time to do it right. You have done a fantastic job and i really like your color combo. If it were mine I probably would'nt add the black. It looks too good like it is. :beer:

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Job! Looks very good. [thumbzup]

. . . . as for the colors my avatar shows the truck as I got it and that was sorta the colors they used the FD brown I used I just liked that better than the yellowish brown that was on the truck originally.
Thanks Jerry

Your truck most likely had the MERDC style camo (winter verdant) The Field Drab is the correct color for that camo pattern. The field drab fades to look like the yellowish brown you describe. There would also have been green, sand, and black in the pattern.

If you want to learn more try this manual:
TB 43-0147
TECHNICAL BULLETIN COLOR, MARKING AND CAMOUFLAGE PATTERNS USED ON MILITARY EQUIPMENT

It is available in the resoures page under Technical manuals on the old site. (which unfortunately is down right now). Or I have a copy I could try to email you if you like.​

Last edited:

mcmullag

Great job! I am getting ready to paint mine 3 color woodland camo with Rapco rattle cans. Never thought of pulling off parts and hanging them up and painting them. Thanks for all the pics, that helps. I think your truck will look even cooler if ya add some black paint areas or patterns to it.

panzerjunky

Did you use rattle cans for the engine or did you buy special engine paint?
It really wasn't to hard just took time the radiator was pulled and boiled then the frame and top tank were painted rapco 24087 OD green ( rattle cans) while the rad was out I painted the fan Rustoleum gloss black then the whole engine was soaked in purple power degreaser and pressure washed a couple times as well as wire brushed and scotch brite paded (the maroon ones) then re pressure washed where i could get to at that point I took off all the little parts that could come off without having to know tourque values to put back on exept for the intake manifold that got tourqed oil pan and valve covers were pulled and sanded primed with rusoleum gray primer and everything was painted with Rapco od green as well as inside of the hood and right and left acc panels. It has had oil fuel and heat for a year or so and still looks good when I want to spruce it up if I degrease or something I just spay some WD-40 on it wipe it down and it looks good. The key I guess is just make sure the original base paint is solid.

panzerjunky

Nice Job! Looks very good. [thumbzup]

Your truck most likely had the MERDC style camo (winter verdant) The Field Drab is the correct color for that camo pattern. The field drab fades to look like the yellowish brown you describe. There would also have been green, sand, and black in the pattern.

If you want to learn more try this manual:
TB 43-0147
TECHNICAL BULLETIN COLOR, MARKING AND CAMOUFLAGE PATTERNS USED ON MILITARY EQUIPMENT

It is available in the resoures page under Technical manuals on the old site. (which unfortunately is down right now). Or I have a copy I could try to email you if you like.​

Thanks I have that Manual and i was going to paint it in the Merdoc pattern the 2 colors that I have now were the base for merdoc but I ended up liking the 2 color originaly my truck only had 3 color. which was very commonly done.
Thanks Jerry

panzerjunky

Great job! I am getting ready to paint mine 3 color woodland camo with Rapco rattle cans. Never thought of pulling off parts and hanging them up and painting them. Thanks for all the pics, that helps. I think your truck will look even cooler if ya add some black paint areas or patterns to it.
I dont know if this will help you but what I did was painted mine in the base color which was Field drab brown then I took pics of it with a digital camera then printed o couple 2 to 3 copies the used colored pencils and drew on diff cammo patterns until I found one I liked then just take that pic out and layout on your truck is easy just copy your picture when you get to the 3rd and 4th color though those especialy the black are more sharp at the points and you bay want to use an air brush at that point and rapco smallest can is a gallon. also when you do the bolts and small parts if you sand blast just put them on a piece of cardboard write where the bolts go next to them on the cardboard then cover your writing with tape then blast and paint away when you are done pull the tape and you will remember where your bolts go

Last edited:

Bill W

Rattle cans!...whodda thought it come out that nice
Very Nice detailed work [thumbzup]

How many cans did it take you..so far

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow, that looks great. that is my goal someday to do to mine. the attention to detail is nice to see. i'd like to get everything serviced in mine, change brake hoses and pack bearings etc and paint mine up nice. i dont have a shop to work in (that the truck will fit in) but we all know working outside can have good results also. very very nice job! more pics would be nice if you have them!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Panzerjunky the truck looks great After going all out on my Deuce sometimes I wish I had taken your route instead, you did a very nice job and its a truck you can without a doubt be very proud of owning! Its a great inspiration to the folks just starting out Thanks for posting!
KK