• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Mud Run Advice Needed

m38inmaine

The local fairgrounds is going to have a mudrun and I was looking for some advice on how to better get through it, its going to be low impact I believe. Just curious on what range/gears/tire pressure etc.. I usually baby my equipment and stick to the tar but I thought a little green iron showing might be nice. Thanks.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
The one time I have had my Deuce with stock 9x20 tires I was amazed at how fast my from tires sunk into the mud to the point I could not steer at all. The rears floated just fine though, so I ended up backing up and finding a different path. If looks like you have a winch, so I bet your sinks even faster.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use mine off road alot. Running through deep mud is like throwing a rock into a pond. There is alot of wieght on the front tires and they are pretty skinny.

rizzo

lower your tire presure in the front leave it up in the rear or buy big supersingles

I run 2nd gear low range with the 46's. you might be able to use 3rd.

disco

My advice:

Make sure somebody has a winch just in case.

Don't stop unless the mud has a solid bottom.

Don't listen to me because I have an uncanny ability to get anything stuck despite my best efforts.

I sunk my duece to the axle (in front) and it took a lot of work and some fancy language to get it out. The bumper was inches from the ground. I used two hi-lift jacks simultaneusly to lift the tires from the hole, then filled the hole with bricks, rocks, debris and whatever wasn't chained down. I had to do this all the way around. Actually, the back end sunk too overnight. I was down to the axles front and rear. The front sank like a rock though.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Freighttrain had a bad experience mudding his deuce. You need to make sure all of the seals are good. If you get mud and water in the knuckles and other internals you will be spending some bucks to repair it.
I know these trucks were built to take it (I have dogged many of them) but you have to take the proper precautions and do your preventative maintainence checks and services (PMCS).
As mentioned above you can get anything stuck if you try hard enough. :oops:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Really low air pressure, especially in the front well help, as well tire chains.

Remember, all the Multifuel-powered trucks have front axle loadings far greater than Reo's engineers originally intended (in fact, initially, the Multifuel was only approved for use in certain variants - not across the board in the chassis). Also, remember, that in the typical enviroment these trucks weren't operated solo - there was often another truck to assist.

Good luck!

David

disco

Here's my stuck picture. The ground looks deceivingly firm. To complicate matters, it rained a few times after I got it stuck. Of course the axle boot on that side is torn. My seal kit came in last Friday.

This of course is good justification for a winch and bigger tires! But the new seals and paint is next.

Post up pics from the mud run!

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disco, that's a tough one to get out from!

Airing down implies floatation and you are trying to stay on top, the skinnier tires are better for penetration to a hard bottom without airing down.
If the mud isn't too deep, less than, say 8 inches, use chains and don't air down.
If the mud is deep, don't go there. :)
If you get water and mud over the axles, be prepared to do a lot of "after fording" maintenance, muddy water in the bearings is not a good thing and the only way to find out if you have a case of it, is to take them apart.

disco

I think I would be willing to risk a little bearing damage for running duals in front for mud runs. It's only for a day and you are't carrying a load. Turning ability will go down but I can live with that. Drive up there with singles and dual it out before you jump off in it.

m38inmaine

False alarm, I have to work that day and can't get the day off. I talked with one of the sponsors and they said it was going to be about a 3' deep pit but not sure how soupy. I appreciate all the advice and offers though, still could come in handy some day! My front boots are both leaking so a teardown is planned as soon as this rain stops. Thanks.

FreightTrain

Banned
Consider yourself lucky.You do not want to do this.....Just cause it "Can" doesn't mean it is ok.The military has basically unlimited funds and Privates to fix a truck.You don't!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks