• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Muffler

73X

It was unusually easy, most of the time Murphy shows up but not this time. I used a heavy truck muffler from a local parts store it is 3.5" in and out. I cut the top off and welded on a 4" piece of stainless for a stack. The clamps are from napa and the hold down bracket is welded from two clamps cut down to the dimensions needed. The muffler is approx. 16.5 long and 8" in diameter. The original exhaust shield was cut down to the height of the muffler then tack welded on. It atleast tries to hide the muffler a little so it is not that noticeable.

Attachments

73X

Pardon me for going off subject here but what did you do to make that CB antenna mount? I like it.
The antenna mount is 18" of 2" pvc with a clean out adapter glued on and a threaded clean out plug drilled center for the antenna base to mount to. If you need me to I will get part numbers and pics for you. It is a bit of a pain in the rear to get 2" to fit as it has an o.d. of 2.375" but it will fit with some patience.

Great minds think alike on the muffler mod. :wink:

Attachments

dittle

Do you guys know/tested to see if adding the muffler affected you EGTs? If it did I can't imagine it changed them much but just interested to know.

JTugwell

i put one on mine the other day too. does quiet it down considerably, but is still loud when you get around 50 or so from the transmission. i do have a question for you guys with rain flappers on your stack. i got one on mine from tractor supply. at idle it wont stay still, and makes an very irritating slapping noise at idle. is that because i got a cheap o, or is it to heavy or something. thanks.

Attachments

OD_Coyote

i put one on mine the other day too. does quiet it down considerably, but is still loud when you get around 50 or so from the transmission. i do have a question for you guys with rain flappers on your stack. i got one on mine from tractor supply. at idle it wont stay still, and makes an very irritating slapping noise at idle. is that because i got a cheap o, or is it to heavy or something. thanks.
I got my flapper from NAPA and it does not make a slapping sound. My boys have the same flappers on their trucks and they don't do it either.
Is your truck's idle set too low?

73X

Mine is from tractor supply also, I made sure my idle is around 850 rpm and added a 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt with two small washers and a nut in the rear hole on the flapper and it stopped bouncing around.

JTugwell

well i dont know. i dont pay attention to it to much. its somewhere around 500-600 rpm. if i come up to a light and hold the engine at around 1000 or a little under it dosent do it at all. that just seems like to high an idle. although there is some guy thats got a video on youtube, and every time he cranks his up it goes right to 2600. :roll: this would take care of my problem, but im sure thats really good for those cold starts. i apologize in advance if this is a fellow member. there may be nothing wrong with doing this correct me if im wrong. coming from the mechanic side of me this just makes me cringe. FF to about the 3 min 10 sec mark. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzUUIjrFeIc[/media] (caution! there is a little language prior to the 3:10 mark.)

Last edited:

JTugwell

Mine is from tractor supply also, I made sure my idle is around 850 rpm and added a 1/2" 1/4-20 bolt with two small washers and a nut in the rear hole on the flapper and it stopped bouncing around.
cool thanks ill try that.

Im running stock pipe with a NAPA muffler in line.

73X

Maybe I am wrong but I believe that a muffler smooths out the exhaust pulse a little as my flapper valve did not flutter before the muffler. I am also running a 4" stack and wonder if the larger pipe slows down the pulse a little also due to larger size pipe with the same amount of exhaust gas. just a theory let me know how you fix your problem. Ron

eldgenb

I know the donaldson flows 1300 cfm which is more than the deuce needs so it should have very little if any effect on egt's.