• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Multi compressor belt adjustment?

broadsword71

1971 Bobbed deuce Multi fuel. I noticed the compressor belt is slipping a bit and has some slack in it. It just started after a day of hard wheeling. I think it stretched a bit. I noticed that there is no visable adjustments to tighten the belt. What is the deal with this? Seems foolish that the military wouldn't have an adjustment. If anyone can help explain this I would appreciate it very much. Its my first deuce and am learning a lot quickly!

THANKS

SEMPER FI

Last edited by a moderator:

AceHigh

Special wrench on the air compressor pully, it screws the pully in to tighten and out to loosen. It can be done without the wrench but it is harder. Also I think there are a couple of tightening bolts. Pretty simple.

Josh

On the compressor pully there are two bolts. Remove the two bolts. Get a pair if wrenches big enough to fit on the two haves of the compressor pully. Counter turn the two halves to tighten or loosen belt.

goatijoe

Use plenty of a good pentrating oil on the outer half before starting. To tighten turn the outer side to the drivers side to tighten it up. Don't worry it will brake free with anough Armstrong they tend to rust up on the adjusting threds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

broadsword71

Man thanks guys! I actually said to my brother yesterday it looks like the pulley should squeeze like a one way clutch on a go kart.

Last edited:

broadsword71

Here is a link to all of the free technical manuals covering your truck. The Deuce TMs - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite
These are a free download courtesy of Steel Soldiers and can be very helpful in working on your truck and in the learning process of maintaining it.
Thanks I did download and spent about 2 hours looking through it before I posted for help. I could not locate compressor belt pulley info. Impatiently I posted for help! Lots of material to look through. Appreciate your help

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also try having the two bolts lose and if you threads are good shape just start the truck. It tighten itself for me that way once.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks I did download and spent about 2 hours looking through it before I posted for help. I could not locate compressor belt pulley info. Impatiently I posted for help! Lots of material to look through. Appreciate your help
The problem with deuce TMs is there are too many. I always instruct folks to get the TM 9-2320-361-10 (owners manual) and TM 9-2320-361-20 (unit service manual). Without understanding what the TM numbers mean, it's a daunting task to find anything. For the deuce there are 2 popular series, 209 and 361. Note the 361 in the manuals I've listed. For info junkies you can get all of them but these 2 are must haves for entry level deuce knowledge. If it ends in -10 its an operators manual. Ends in -20 or -24, its unit maintenance. If it ends with a P it's a parts manual.

broadsword71

Thanks guys for your help. Took me 15 minutes to tighten. I took the bolts and used a nicely round air chisel not to ruin or damage the nut and rapped it right around. Worked perfectly with no damage. I'm going to carry that chisel on board with my other air tools.

plym49

Thanks guys for your help. Took me 15 minutes to tighten. I took the bolts and used a nicely round air chisel not to ruin or damage the nut and rapped it right around. Worked perfectly with no damage. I'm going to carry that chisel on board with my other air tools.
That was clever. I think we all just learned something from you. (Although you are better off just getting the correct wrenches - they are inexpensive enough, and if the belt breaks outright your trick might not work since you will run out of air).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Where is the EMG. for this HELP (911 call) post, do not say HELP as a title, members think it is a 911 call, NOT I have not read the correct TM statement, next time say how do I a adjustment for my air compressor belt

Last edited:

broadsword71

The problem with deuce TMs is there are too many. I always instruct folks to get the TM 9-2320-361-10 (owners manual) and TM 9-2320-361-20 (unit service manual). Without understanding what the TM numbers mean, it's a daunting task to find anything. For the deuce there are 2 popular series, 209 and 361. Note the 361 in the manuals I've listed. For info junkies you can get all of them but these 2 are must haves for entry level deuce knowledge. If it ends in -10 its an operators manual. Ends in -20 or -24, its unit maintenance. If it ends with a P it's a parts manual.

Man GREAT INFO! Yes Sir it is daunting...This helps me tremendously for future break downs

broadsword71

Where is the EMG. for this HELP (911 call) post, do not say HELP as a title, members think it is a 911 call, NOT I have not read the correct TM statement
Ha sorry about that. I just copied others that posted looking for assistance. which is what I will post from now on.

broadsword71

That was clever. I think we all just learned something from you. (Although you are better off just getting the correct wrenches - they are inexpensive enough, and if the belt breaks outright your trick might not work since you will run out of air).
Well I'm a Marine, IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME...right? Yes I will still order the right tools. But to break loose a stubborn pulley or if you can't wait for the tools like me, it did work well. I am ordering the tools though. I contacted the gentleman for them.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ha sorry about that. I just copied others that posted looking for assistance. which is what I will post from now on.
Something like this "next time say how do I do a adjustment for my air compressor belt"

Don't worry, we let ALL the non emg. helps know thay should use a different title in there thread.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title edited