• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce newby with questions????

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,
Today I started looking over the deuce a little better and took out the 6tl's and put them on the charger. I also drained the air tanks. I drained them one time on the recovery trip, when I stopped to work on the clutch. Probably about 300 to 350 miles into the trip, out of 750. At that time I did not notice any oil spraying out of the air tank. At that time, I also noticed some oil around the base of the compressor. Today when I drained the tanks, there was a lot of moisture that sprayed out of the wet tank. When I looked at the ground where it sprayed, I noticed it looked like oil. I left the tank sit for a few minutes and opened the drain again and got a little more oil spray out of the tank.

I did search the posts and noticed that it could either be oil bypassing the rings or the air cleaner on the compressor intake being dirty and "sucking" oil past the rings. My question is, how much oil should I be concerned about before replacing the compressor if it is the rings? The picture looks like a large puddle, but that was mostly spray due to the air pressure pushing it out. Also, the oil leaking out of the compressor, does this look to anybody like the base gasket leaking? If so, where could I get a new gasket?

Also, my truck does not have a heater, but I want to add one sometime in the near future. I noticed one petcock on the passenger side of the engine with a hose fitting where a heater hose should be hooked up. The other port where it should hook up has a pipe plug in it. But, my question is, on the drivers side of the engine, just behind the oil filters, there is a petcock with a short length of hose on it...What would this have been for???

Attachments

FormerNewMVGuy

The one by the oil filters is for taking an oil sample.
Also i get the oil spray sometimes out of the air tanks to , but not all the time.

Good luck with the new beast!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought of another question I was wanting to ask. I noticed right off the bat when we left the base the speedo wasn't working, however on the way home I noticed that the odometer was still racking up miles. Since there is only one cable going into the speedo, does this mean that the speedo is bad?? I would assume yes, but with the military stuff, you can never be too sure of anything. Has anybody else experienced this problem? I searched but found nothing like my problem, at least not that was mentioned anyway???

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
drgreg said:
Sounds like you need a new Deuce, I heard there are some nice ones comming up at Sparta.:twisted:
It sounds to me like you're just trying to get me in trouble with the little woman. She made me promise to keep it within a tri state area.

tm america said:
speedo is bad that looks like alot of oil in the tank.i'd start looking for a compressor .
That's kind of what I thought about the speedo, I just wanted a second opinion. Has anybody ever rebuilt their compressor?

Jake0147

I also noticed some oil around the base of the compressor.
Mine looks exactly like that, but the compressor base is NOT leaking. It's wicking around the seam, but it's coming from the weep hole in the older design head gasket, which according to Connie is pretty much normal and acceptable in reasonable quantities.
Not to say that this IS your problem... Just to say that I beleive you'd have a hard time telling this from an actual weeping compressor base gasket, so a bit of degreaser and some investigation might be in order.

Today when I drained the tanks, there was a lot of moisture that sprayed out of the wet tank. When I looked at the ground where it sprayed, I noticed it looked like oil. I left the tank sit for a few minutes and opened the drain again and got a little more oil spray out of the tank.
Mine ejects fairly clean water, usually a hint of white from emulsified oil... UNLESS there is something stupid going on, like power outage just after I've mixed up a fresh batch of paint, leading to running a thirsty paint gun off of the emergency air line, which causes the compressor to run at an abnormally high duty cycle. Then I get oil. I'm guessing the compressor is too hot at that time. Also cleaning the stone filter will help tremendously IF it's the problem. A bit of oil won't hurt anything, it's just what gets past the rings. So long as you drain water but notice oil, it's not a terrible concern. It's when you start draining oil and noticing water that you should worry. And if it's sat for a bit, oil floats on water, and runs slower to run down a gentle slope than water, so if it's separated in the tank then what you describe with the second drain yielding more oil would not sound alarming.
There is no specification that I'm aware of for how much oil passing is acceptable, but I have never seen any engine driven air compressor no matter how new that did not pass a visually detectable amount of oil.
Also, my truck does not have a heater,
If you have not, you should search this forum for posts with pictures. There's a right way, and a common but incorrect way to hook up the hoses, and a picture is worth a thousand words.

The correct heater hose petcocks use (I believe) three quarter inch heater hose. There is a small draincock at the back of the engine on the passenger side which is for draining the coolant only, and not for the heater. It is similar in size to the drain cock on the driver's side, that as mentioned, is for taking oil samples for analysis.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jake0147, thanks for the information. I'll clean up the base of the compressor, and tighten the little oil line going from the base up, and keen an eye on it. That oil that came out was after about a 350 mile straight run, so the compressor was working pretty hard I'm sure, plus I aired up the tired before we left Sparta with it.

The picture looks like it's more oil than it is. That was sprayed out under probably 80 psi left in the tank from 3 feet or what ever the height of the tank is about the ground, so it fanned out some. I will be keeping an eye on it though. Thanks again.

Nonotagain

Try changing the motor oil a few times before condeming the air compressor as being bad.

I used to run a alcohol injection system on my trucks for the air compressor so that I didn't have to worry about the tanks freezing in the winter. A side benifet was that the compressed air was always clean.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
drgreg said:
Did she say which 3 states? Sounds like a loophole to me.
KaiserM109 said:
Do the 3 states have to connect?
Loophole???? She may be a hillbilly from WV, but she's a smart one, or at least she knows how much of a smart*ss her husband is. Because she set that straight right off the bat. I'm not aloud any further south than KY on no farther north than PA, so I'm, kinda limited.

But she did say that was for vehicles, she didn't specify other components:twisted:

NewWheeler

Speddmon,
Mine spit a bunch of oil after it's inaugural ride home (about 200 miles) but since then, just running around town I get very little. It had me worried at first but I don't even think about it anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks