• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce not idling!!!

tah081

so we got the deuce cranked up today afters its sat for a year… we just replaced the fuel filters before doing so and put fresh fuel in the truck. it starts with a little starting fluid and we got it to stay running while high idling but as soon as we let off it dies immediately and wont restart with out starting fluid… note there is only about 3 gallons of diesel in the tank… could this be the problem?.. i posted a video of it starting and it stalling out… i noticed quite a bit of white smoke, is this normal?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3gals is not enough. The tank pickup is about 3 inches up from the tank bottom.

You need about 15 or more. Seriously

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will know you have enough fuel when you can:
1 turn on the power switch and
2 hear the in-tank pump running and then
3 crack the bleeder on top the secondary and final filter(till fuel sprays out), then
4 turn over engine with starter, it should light off. If not
5 give it a whiff of starter fluid.
6 she runs on her own.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It means your burning ether!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
White smoke could be steam, which would be bad,
but that it isn't the issue here, cold start attempts with less than optimal fuel will do that.

I have never needed ether to start a deuce. even @ 20°F
Had one with the ether start setup, used it once when it was real cold just to verify it's function.

tah081

oh yeah and is the primary fuel filter under the alt the same filter size as the secondary filters? we changed the secondary and final filters but primary replacement looks small compared to the secondaries but the canister for the primary looks the same size as the secondaries

Motorcar

The primary works as a water seperator as well, that's why it is deeper than the filter in it. The petcock on the bottom should be opened with the in tank pump on and fuel drained into a clear container to see if you have water. I just use an old cut off water bottle but anything like that will work. Dark smoke is a rich mixture and white smoke is a lean indication. White may be caused by air in the line, sucking air, leaking lines etc. If your in tank pump isn't running and the injection pump is having to draw from the fuel tank, and your level is so LOW it is getting air in the line.....hard starting and white smoke would be common.

littlebob

Mine sat for long periods with a small amount of fuel in the tank and collected moisture from condensation. Drain any moisture from the tank then primary and secondary filters. I think its time to change my filters again from non-use.

trukhead

I think WD-40 might be more user friendly and engine digestible. My CUCV would start on it and run until prime would occur at the fuel filter without that ugly nasty knock knock - what you doing t the engine noise.

:driver:

dutchguy

oh yeah and is the primary fuel filter under the alt the same filter size as the secondary filters? we changed the secondary and final filters but primary replacement looks small compared to the secondaries but the canister for the primary looks the same size as the secondaries
First, put 10-15 gallons of new fuel in it. If you have only 3 gallons of 1-year-old fuel in it, along with a little water......

When you get ready to change the primary fuel filter, check this out:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/80572-primary-fuel-filter-fubar.html

I still don't have it figured out.............

hemichallenger

Are you giving it some throttle when you are trying to start it? When you get it started pull the hand throttle just enough to make it idle and see ware you are at then.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put in 15 more gallons of good fuel, bleed the fuel system, pull the hand throttle out just a bit and hit the button. It should light off in short order!

tah081

We drained about 5 gallons out until empty and then only had about 3 fresh gallons left after cleaning the secondary fuel canisters and refilling them before installing... i figured it prolly needs more fuel than that and ill be putting the primary replacement in today as well... then ill cross my fingers

Motorcar

Never pre-fill the filters...you are putting unclean fuel into the cannisters which will go straight to the injection pump and injectors. There are very fine tolerances in the pump and injectors, thus, three sets of filters. You should install the filters dry, open the small bleeder on top of the secondary filter housing and turn on the main electric power. The in tank pump will push the fuel thru the filters and the air out. Close the bleeder when clean fuel comes out, allow it to run for a couple more minutes to push the return lines and it should start right up.

Last edited: