• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce not starting, now what?

Lonesome715

My deuce is turning over but not starting. It is getting fuel and will run on starting fluid but will not stay running. This truck has sat for an unknown number of years so I do not know if that plays a role. I have replaced all the fuel filters and cleaned the lines. What else should I try?

jamawieb

I would say that it is fuel related. The injectors might be clogged due to rust if it's been sitting for years. Did you break the lines open at the injectors, to make sure they are getting fuel? Most of the time its the injection pump not suppling fuel to the injectors.

Lonesome715

I was thinking fuel as well. But all the injectors are getting fuel. I did crack open the lines and verify. However, I did not think about the injestors being clogged. What would be a good way to clear them?

Riktord

I was thinking fuel as well. But all the injectors are getting fuel. I did crack open the lines and verify. However, I did not think about the injestors being clogged. What would be a good way to clear them?
Take them out and do a full break down. One at a time so you don't mix the parts up. From what I can see they are fairly simple assemblies. Might require a bit of polishing after you break away any major corrosion. OR just buy a working set and put them in so you can have spares.

Silly question but your fuel is FRESH diesel... right?

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Do you have any smoke while cranking? The multi in these trucks does not care much about fuel quality, only quantity. When I picked mine up, the JP8 or Diesel was likely 10 years old or so. It smelled like varnish more than it smelled like Diesel. The truck ran strong on that mixture but did emit quite a bit of white smoke and finally stopped 120 miles later due to water soaked filters. We fixed that, refilled the tank and were good to go again. This question has been answered more times than a few, pull the cover off the side of the Injection Pump and ensure that the fuel shutoff is moving. The cover has 2 flathead screws that will be safety wired together if it's never been removed. Have a friend pull the fuel shut off out and push it back in. Observe the movement of the bellcrank attached to the fuel shut off. It should move smoothly. It's not connected directly to the shut off cable when pushing in, only when pulling out to stop the motor. When pushing in to start, it pushes against a spring. If the bell crank is binding as the fuel cable is being pushed in, you have some work on your hands with some PB Blaster. Inspect as I talked about and post back. We'll help get it back on the road.

Lonesome715

I had the tank cleaned by a pro at a shop in town. I also bought fresh from the pump diesel for the first fire up. I poored some new ATF in the filter bowls when I replaced the filters though. The only smoke I noticed was after I used the staring fluid.

I did have a good sign today. I pulled the throttle lever out to see if that would help. I also had the fule lines lose at the injectos to make sure they were getting fuel. I sprayed a littel bit of staring fluid in the air box and it roared to life. A little to well. Feul was shooting out of the lose injector fittings and the engine was running at a very high RPM. I did not realize having the throtle lever pulled out wold make it do that. I had to shut it down because I was was afraid it would destroy itself. I tightened up the fittings and tried again with no luck. It would nto start back up without starting fluid, nor would it stay running.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please read the thread I posted when my HH died. There's extensive testing steps documented in it.

Lonesome715

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I did not think to check that. I used it when it sounded like the engine was running away. But I did not check to see if it was stopping the truck from starting.

Where is the thread about your HH? What is the title at least?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you know who the person is that started a thread, you can click on their user name and select view started threads. That'll give you a listing of threads they've made.

Riktord

When I have issues starting my deuce I ONLY pull the throttle rod out by an inch. Anything more than that and it likes to run-away. Just FYI

Lonesome715

That is going to be what I address next. This weekend I am tearing down my old Dodge. But I am hoping to take a few minutes to work on this Deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks