• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce oil.

oldiron4x4

I am trying to find out what type and weight of engine oil that everyone is using in their duece. I am a new MV owner and trying gather information. Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a wonderful Search function on the site. Many common things like this question have been covered in detail, previously.

What kind of things does your CMVPA talk about at their meetings(if not which oil to use)?

jimm1009

Engine oil

:-D Dito on the non-synthetic for now.
Get to know your truck and put a few miles on it.
Synthetic is really really good, really expensive, and could cause a leak if you have a marginally tight (non leaking) engine.
Shell is very good and the Rotella-T is the current name of the 15W40 grade.
You can always run it the first year and then convert over later...
Just my 1.7 cents worth but I have been using it for 14 years in my CUCV M1009 with good results.
The price goes down some when you buy 5 gallon pails.

Jim

bassetdeuce

I'm also new to the m35 multifuel, but not to the 5.9L ISB Cummins. Use plain old 15w40 CI-4+ rated. I will get flamed for this, but for the deuce I will use Wal-Mart SuperTech 15w40, because it is CI-4+ rated as opposed to the newer CJ-4 rating. If you read up on the differences between the ratings, and see actual Blackstone wear analysis between the two types, the CI-4+ is slightly better for a pre 2007 emissions diesel engine. Since the multifuel has no emissions EGR, VGT, DPF filter, the older CI-4+ standard performs better with the old type antiwear additives (which is bad for the new DFP filters in new post 2007 diesels running on USLD, hence the new CJ-4 rated oils).

As a side note, I used to run Delo 400 15w40 in my 2005 Cummins until the new Low Emission CJ-4 version replaced the CI-4+ stuff. I switched to John Deere 15w40 CI-4+ I only recenty discovered that SuperTech 15w40 was CI-4+, and with a 22qt sump on the multifuel, the price is right. BTW, its not Chinese, its made by Warren Petroleum.

For those talking synthetics, I don't know. I wouldn't want to pay for 22qts of synthetic anything for a vehicle not driven a lot.

bassetdeuce

All of the CJ-4 oils are listed as backward compatible to CI-4+ on the API label. It means that pre 2007 diesels may run on this new standard. Check that bottle of Shell Rotella T with Triple Protection. Check Shell Corp website. Unless it is old, it will say CJ-4 on the API label. Again, to meet the protection standards for current diesels with Diesel Particulate Filters, the CJ-4 standard was born. They use a different additive pack entirely. The Phosphates and Zinc (EP additives -> Good Stuff) are gone in order to keep the DPF working in the new 2007+ engines. One would think that less galling would be good in these old multifuels.

JDToumanian

Am I the only one who reads their LO? I don't understand all this talk of multi-grade oils, the LO says 30w, so I use 30w. The military could have spec'ed their equipment for multi-grade oils, but they did not. There is a reason.

Jon

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We get 55 gal drums of SAE-30 for the locomotives, they have cummins NTA-855 engines. I bought a 55 gal drum of Rotella 15w-40 3 years ago, because I had 2 deuces, a tractor and my pickup, all diesel. It was just over $375 for the drum. It may or may not be that cheap now. (probably not)

I may go with the SAE-30 for my deuce when I do the next change. I'm really wanting some spin on filters too. ;-)

M725

15-w30 is what they use and use synthetic
There is no such thing as 15w-30 synthetic,the equivalent in synthetic is 05w-30.
Summer the military uses 15w-40. The good thing about synthetic 05w-40 it can be used year round. But the age and wear of the motor it's not a good idea. Also $26.00 a gal (mobil 1) it can add up.

JDToumanian

The military has changed everything over to 15W-40 per the maintenance personnel I have talked to.
I don't believe it. For example, two-cycle Detroit Diesel engines - which the military still has hundreds of thousands of in everything from HEMTTs to gensets - require a special oil that is unique and not used in any other engine..... OE/HDO-40. That's SAE 40w, rated CF-2 (Just for 2-strokes!) and also meets MIL-PRF-2104G. It is widely known that multi-grade oils cause liner scuffing, wrist pin wear, and consequent short lifespan and high oil consumption in these engines.

The military has almost finished getting rid of the older vehicles like deuces. There is no LO that has ever told you to put 15w-40 into a Multifuel engine. There is a reason.

Jon

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Although I totally agree on the fact that no LO has ever called for 15W-40, I would like to add that the following pic is a Deuce I picked up from Redstone Arsenal 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Also, my Deuce has 15W-40 stenciled on the flame heater cover and it was surplussed in '99.

I do not know enough about oil to contribute to the multiweight viscosity downsides discussion.

Attachments