• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce original cost?

cbvet

Anyone know what a Deuce originally cost the government, & what that would be in today's dollars?
Say a standard M35A2, no winch, no special equipment.
Would be fun to compare with current truck prices.
Eric

marksgarage2

Is that the cost of the depot rebuild? Mine was rebuilt in 87. When I got it it had a sticker on the LF fender with a bar code saying 56,976 dollars. What does this mean?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked for the Army at Yuma Proving Grounds for a short time years back, and I learned costs on equipment sent in as surplus was the total of purchase plus whatever was spent on repairs & labor during it's life.

Be it a truck or a file cabinet, it carried a history in terms of dollars spent. The gov't had a formula such that once it went past a certain expense amount it was "out of here".

This practice aways led to "cannabalizing" things out of the turn-in yard as they were "free" and could be used to keep a favorite old truck alive when funding for it was cut off.

dg

PS...Dodge got right at $9,000 per M37 for the last contract in '64, I have no inside info on G742's.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M49A2C was listed with a (aquisition ?) cost of $98,000 by the DRMO back in 1995 when I got it.
Guess the stainless steel 1,200 gallon tank, pump, water separator, hoses, nozzles etc doubled the cost.
Below are a couple of samples from a Feb 2000 DRMO listing.
Note the cost of the 5-tonner, makes one wonder what that figure really means....
Also a page from "successful bidders" back in 1998.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing also to remember is that the original cost DOES include all BII. Shovels, picks, wrenches, screwdrivers, ect. Thats one reason why the wreckers the price really goes up! All them cool tools add up!

rice

They said it was a 71, but I need to dtermine if I can by serial number what year it is before I register it. Its newer than 71, its an AM General truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks