• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Over Heated Today. Low On Coolant?

dabtl

I overheated this morning in a parade. I figured bad water pump? Bad thermostat?
Drained the radiator at the bottom drain. Maybe two gallons+ coolant came out.

Is that too little coolant to drain out? Maybe I was just low on coolant?

Last edited by a moderator:

dabtl

My kid drove it to the Red River a week or so ago and went down into the river to retrieve a pickup. I know, crazy. The trip was about 200 miles. I suspect the highway speed, the fight to get the pickup unstuck, is that a word, and such caused it.

It is not in the oil. That is certain. I have not found any indication of leakage, after looking for a half hour or so. But, you are correct in suggesting there may be some thing I am missing. It has done this off and on over five years, so who knows?

jwaller

Sounds like the engine may be burning I t. Bad head gasket. Do you smell a sweet smell in the exhaust? White smoke?

welldigger

It is normal to loose coolant over time but not that fast. What color is your exhaust smoke? You may need a new head gasket and not even realize it.

dabtl

I have not checked the coolant in a long while. And, it might mean a new set of head gaskets. I am watching it now and since it is used mostly for parades it will be while I suspect before I figure out anything.

dabtl

It was not in water, more sand silt. The pickup was being driven along the waters edge when it hit soft silt.

About six years ago we had major flooding and went through five feet of water on several occasions rescuing people from the tops of cars and such. The front bearings were soaked. It did not take a great deal of work to put them back in order, but I was sure glad I did.

dabtl

Ya know I was kicking myself for not doing that. I got up too late to get two trucks ready for a parade and did not do a complete inspection. It is much easier to check the brake fluid with the remote BF reservoir now and that made me lazy.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the head gasket leaks can be so subtle that they often are hard to detect. you can 'sniff' the rad with block√check test fluid, or with an emissions tester. block√check is best.

dabtl

After perusing the TM's it can be only a few things. First, a head gasket leak is possible. Second is a cracked head. There are no signs of leakage elsewhere that I have found.

The only other possibilities, assuming the fluid drain continues might be a leak in the water manifold gaskets but how that might get into the exhaust is a mystery. There is no indication that it is draining into the oil at all.

I replaced the rear head two years ago with a new one. I guess I will buy another couple of heads and replace the head gaskets as a last resort.

dabtl

You could just pull the heads and have them magnafluxed and inspected for cracks, instead of buying two new ones. I know that isn't cheap.
It is more complex than that now. I refilled the coolant. Started it up and watched the slobber of the excess coolant the truck likes.

I do my best work with a beer in hand. So, I sat down and started it up. I watched the slobber fest for a few minutes, maybe half a pint at max. Then proceeded to watch it idle for five beers. I saved one for the house. Never over heated. Exhaust smoke does not smell, is clean, neither diesel black or oil white.

I have ordered a new thermostat and will pick up a couple of heads in December or January. Might need them no matter.

Sometimes these problems do not manifest themselves immediately. My first cracked head was a nightmare to pin down. Three head gasket changes worth.

Is a puzzlement, as Yul Brinner said.

Jeepsinker

I put a coolant catch tank on mine and my coolant stays full now. I got tired of having low coolant. And it really never was low, but I like being able to see a full radiator when I remove my cap.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of coolant did you use? I've read there is orange and the regular, typical, green coolant - and conflicting opinions if you can mix them.

My radiator looks low but I was thinking just to drain it and refill it just to clear any/some crud ( if there is ).

welldigger

What kind of coolant did you use? I've read there is orange and the regular, typical, green coolant - and conflicting opinions if you can mix them.
Just go to your parts store and get antifreeze made specifically for diesel engines. Color doesn't matter. Never put automotive anti freeze in a diesel engine.