• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Parking Brake install question

Heavy D.

Hello everyone!

over the last 2 days taking my time I took off my old shot parking brake shoes, and have installed the new set ordered from Eriks Military Surplus. Everything has gone relatively smoothly, and the new shoes are installed. The problem is the inner shoe. Even with the hand brake cable tensioning nut about all the way threaded out, and the brake arm pushed out as far as the nut will allow, the inner shoe still seems to be in contact with the drum. Is there something I have missed? Part of me is thinking I should just drive it a little and wear away the mm or so that is just barely touching. It is not a firm hold, as I can rotate the drum slightly with my hands, but there is definitely making contact. I just want to make sure I covered everything before I proceed.

Respectfully,

Paul

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you follow the adjustments outlined in the -20 TM? It is very specific and easy to follow.

Do you have all 3 springs as shown in the TM?

steelandcanvas

There is a "feel" when adjusting brakes, very little resistance should be noticed when turning the drum. As long as everything is seated where it should be, that little bit of shoe will wear off quickly. Does the drum lock up when you pull the handle into the full upright position?

Heavy D.

All parts are in position as the manual directs. The brakes engage wonderfully, with plenty of tension. Like I said it is a very minute contact when disengaged, and I too believe it shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted to make sure you know? Thank you for the quick responses. 8)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just so you know, there is 2 different hand brake cables. One is intended for the adjustable hand brake and one is made for the "other" style. Could you have the wrong one installed from the Gov?

Heavy D.

Interesting! I didn't know that... Well what I do know is that my brake lever IS adjustable with the knob on the end. I would think the non adjustable cable wouldnt function with that lever correct? It is an A3 as well, so I one would assume they would have the more modern style installed.

welldigger

Hmm the a3 I'm working on the parking brake adjusts like my a2. Which I believe both trucks I'm referring to you adjust the brake under the truck. I have my parking brake set where both shoes have a few thousandths space between the shoes and drum. You can just make out a crack of light between the drum and shoes. There doesn't seem to be any rubbing since my drum still has a bit of rust on it even after a drive. But it locks up good and tight when I engage it. Be sure to grease all of the pivot points good. Mine were a bit crusty as my cable was seized when I purchased the truck. My inner shoe didn't want to release until I lubed it up.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... it is a very minute contact when disengaged.....
Even with all components mounted in place, the inner brake shoe(lining) could still be dragging at its upper OR lower end; instead of maintaining an even gap to the drum, when the lever is fully released.
That can be corrected /adjusted by slightly bending this spring (red circle)...

Actually that spring - and the corresponding pivot points- didn't exist for the very early models. It was an upgrade to avoid exactly that: inner brake shoe contact and rattle while driving.

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks