• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Price

greenmonster

I am looking to sell my deuce and I don't really know what they go for. What is the normal price for a 1952 Curtis-Wright with the 331 continental it needs tires and a drivers side window. It was refurbished in the 80's but the paint is faded and is forest service color I got it with a 750 gallon water tank because it was a brush fire truck. I hope that is enough info. Just looking for a fair price for it I have been watching classifieds and haven't seen one for sale. So I don't really know a market value.

Thanks

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Price varys widely with location. I would say 1500-3000, but thats just me. How much are water trucks going for in your area?

Kohburn

Price varys widely with location. I would say 1500-3000, but thats just me. How much are water trucks going for in your area?
That little? out here busted deuces were going for 4k from gov liquidation before they ran out or them. private sale was 5K+

3dAngus

You don't say anything about the running condition.

Does it run? How well. How about the transfer case? Does it overheat. Does it have any leaks at the engine, transmission, wheels, axles, etc?

It's on a trailer, and with you not saying anything about the running condition it would be hard to say. But Gimpy is right, the location says a lot. The Pacific coast is very expensive compare d to the rest of the U.S., IMHO. Not sure about Wyoming. If in good running condition, and no leaks of significance, I would say $2500-4000.

Take the water tank off and sell it seperately. Looks like a fairly good bed, but that one picture doesn't tell the story.

greenmonster

I have already pulled the water tank, it is in good running condition. The only thing I have found is that the brakes will bleed down after a while like the master cylinder is bypassing if I bleed the brakes only at the master it will be good for a couple of months. The engine trans transfer case are all good, aside from it's top speed of like 50mph it drives nice. The reason it is on the trailer is that is the day I picked it up from the forest service. The tires are pretty bad on it and I have been debating on selling it like it is or putting tires on it to sell it. It got refurbished in the 80's and has 1500 miles on refurb so it is a pretty tight truck. I am going to Seattle this winter so maybe I will haul it out there if prices are better. I am going out that way anyway. Thanks for all the help I just got a 900series 5ton and do not need this one I have quite a bit of money in it just seeing if it would be worth it to sell or hang on to it. I should have done some more research on it before buying but those dang auctions suck me in.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, the gassers do go alot cheaper. I'd go with Gimp's estimate.

Heath_h49008

I can tell you I turned down a gasser at $1800.

They just aren't as powerful, easy to work on, and offer any of the multifuel boons such as turbo sound or multi-fuel capability.

Best of luck. You may find a gasser fan who loves it, but you will probably make more money parting it out.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

They just aren't as powerful, easy to work on, and offer any of the multifuel boons such as turbo sound or multi-fuel capability.

Best of luck. You may find a gasser fan who loves it, but you will probably make more money parting it out.
I would say gassers have more power and are alot lighter. With them being so much smaller some things are alot easier to work on. I can remove the steering colum in my M48 in about 25 minutes (can that be done on a multi)? Parts are a little harder to find but seem almost cheaper. Yeah, no turbo sound. As for multi, mine only gets diesel so it's irrevelant. Unfortunately-you will probably get more parting it. I might be interested in some gasser parts if you do....

greenmonster

That really sucks to part it out, I think it is cool that it was built by an aircraft company sort of like having your truck built by Boeing. I originally picked it up to put a cummins in then I could not bring myself to cut it up. So I sold the cummins and bought the 5ton and heater,power steering, ctis, abs....so far are pretty sweet to have. I do like the ol deuce it seems to offroad slower like it is lower geared but according to the tm's my five ton in low is lower geared.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do like the ol deuce it seems to offroad slower like it is lower geared but according to the tm's my five ton in low is lower geared.
Remember the gasser doesn't have an overdrive transmission. Just out of curiosity, did that come from New Castle?

Heath_h49008

Heath, send me the info on that gasser!
I'm pretty sure it's razorblades by now. If you really want it, check Harbor Freight... one of the $5 anvils is sure to have part of that truck in it.

I posted it last year. Farmer in the thumb of Michigan. It was a firetruck/gasser deuce on 1100's with a tank on the back the farmer used as a liquid manure spreader.

Nobody wanted to save the old girl.

waayfast

I bought my gasser in 2008 from the local Fire Dept.
Was REALLY disapointed it was not a multi fuel.REEALLY wanted a multifuel. Had all the visions of burning vegie oil or waste oil to save money on driving costs. Even bought a Multi engine in a can to put in it.
Well---reality took over. Realistically-- who (certainly not me!!) who the %ell has the time to go scrounge up "free" btu juice. Let alone time to filter, separate, store and generally fiddly dink around with the mess.
Also the front end sheet metal is different from the multi. Radiator is not the same. Transfercase (sprague) is different from the multi(air shift-switch on dash).Transmission is different. So a swap to the multi fuel just ain't that quick or easy.

IF I had a multifuel, I would be burning Diesel which costs more than gas.The gasser is a LOT easier to start in cold weather. Big parts are cheap (from the guys parting out the gassers they don't want/can't sell, LOL!). Small parts are refreshingly cheap:
Exhaust gasket set-27.50
points/condenser set-12.50
Dist cap-35.00
rotor-12.00
(Antelope Valley Eqpt and Truck Parts, INC 2010)
Lighter on front axle (and like yours, no winch) so it steers VERY easy. That 331 Continental is about the sweetest and smoothest engine sound around. More room in the engine compartment, easy to reach everything.

Many people on here say they really like the gassers but actually few step up to buy one (that I've seen anyways).
Tried to sell mine a while back and got -0- inquiries/response.
Thank heavens!!! I have really come to love the old girl and she ain't going nowhere!

You may have ended up with a "pig in a poke", but maybe you (like I have) will find she's REALLY pretty dang cool.
Heck anybody can get a multi fuel.
Jim

greenmonster

I really like it I just really thought I was going to use it to leave on the mountain for snowmobiling, after short trips around town going up the mountain in it with no heater and at 25miles an hour it would be a long trip.

greenmonster

Well put the word out I put it on Craigslist for 2500 wish me luck. It seemed like that was the middle of the road answer as far as price. Thanks for all the input.