• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce project

Havinsdeuce

ok i have been a member for a little while, lots of info here, i love it. i have a 54 reo m35a2 and i am at a cross road. i went and picked up 6 14.00 r20s with the idea in mind to super single my duece. come to read that the 14.00 r20s are a touch too big. so now im toying with the idea of bobbing the ol girl. there are many different ways to do this but i am not sure which one is most cost effective. any ideas and input would be super helpfull

dmetalmiki

Don't spoil it, keep it original and put 1200x20 singles on. Results in lower rpm,s at cruise. better top cruise speed. Better mpg. What more could you wish for?..and a really decent (historic) military truck when completed.
Post up some pictures of your vehicle for us to see.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You could space out the rear axle to accommodate the larger tires too. Can't be much harder than bobbing the truck, but I suggest trading the 1400s for 395s and keeping it 6x6.

Jeepsinker

If you bob it, a midget will jump through the window, kick your teeth in, set your leg on fire, and then run away laughing at you.
Seriously don't do it... everyone will hate you.

Havinsdeuce

thanks alot guys for the info. i was really torn about the whole bobbing issue. i really wanted to keep it 6x6 and put lockers in it then it would be bullet proof. any one out there ever spaced these axles apart or know how to do it?? i would really rather do that.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here I am sharing advice, and so ...I would leave the rear axles alone. I would install a "spool" in the front axle, along wigth " jeep type "lockouts" and this will increase your traction . Also you would then be utilizing the original engineering , which is reliable and substantial.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
thanks alot guys for the info. i was really torn about the whole bobbing issue. i really wanted to keep it 6x6 and put lockers in it then it would be bullet proof. any one out there ever spaced these axles apart or know how to do it?? i would really rather do that.
Yes, I searched the best I could, but his user ID escapes me.

Jeepsinker

If you have to do super singles, I wouldn't recommend anything larger than the 395s. With tires that large you are already stressing components a lot more than they were designed for. Don't modify it to make it start giving you problems. They are fairly trouble free as is if maintained properly.

Havinsdeuce

i would love to trade for 395s but unfortunetly i have a shortage of that size around here so i am going to make do with the ones i have. i work for a custom fab shop here so i have access to all kinds of goodies to make longer dog bones and spring perches. i will upload some pics of the truck in its currant state. i just dont want to bob this thing because i bought a 6x6 for a reason

Havinsdeuce

i agree with you all on the fact of keeping it 6x6 i appreciate all the replies food for thouht and it helps me out thank you thank you i love this forum