• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce pto to run a dump hoist

clutch

im wondering if anyone has found a pto that will fit the deuce tranny to run a dump hoist without the winch or if i should quit looking and try to find a stock deuce pto with rear output. electric is not an option.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done some research on this and came up empty handed. Chelsea did make one that fit years ago but it's no longer available. Best bet is to buy a dual output or figure out a way to mate a pump to the front output if you're not planning on having a winch.

yorkgulch2

Boyce and Eastern Surplus had transmission dual ptos with a hydraulic pump on rear output. I think they have complete kits with hydraulic oil tank. The only duece tipper I have seen was set up that way.
The transfercase pto is heavier duty but every setup I have seen has a gear and chain to drive a winch.

clutch

i have called chelsea to see if they had a pto that would work and they told me all the gears are obsolete. i was hoping to find one that would work from a dump or grain truck then post info on so everyone knew of another route but i havent found one to match up. i will call boyce and eastern monday and see if they have one.

RangerDave

I have got both the transmission case pto to my front winch and the transfer case pto to run the hydraulic pump for my log loader. I purchased a transfer case pto from Boyce for a great price and it included the one side of the yoke that was important for the tapered shaft that comes out. I then built a short pto shaft out of a Chevy front drive shaft (you need to use a u-joint that fits the different bearing diameters of the two different yokes - about $10). The shaft runs to the pump and then powers the log loader. Hope that helps. I can post pictures if you want. I couldn't find any one that had done this several years ago and had to red neck it in my own whay.... ;)

RangerDave

OK, it stopped raining long enough to run under the truck to take a couple of pics to show how I set mine up... It is nice to sit in the cab and pop the transfer case in neutral and then select the transmission gear for hydraulic flow (1st is slow, 3rd is typical, 4th and 5th are just way too fast for my gear pump to be effective.... then the pump selection is important... I prefer gear over vane because the engine doesn't need to rpm as fast, just a high idle around 1200 and all the power the log loader can handle.

Another thought is that if the hydraulics are only going to be dedicated to just dumping, than maybe you want to consider and electric hydraulic set up (not the hydraulic clutch type off of the engine). I've got a buddy that turns his cargo beds into dump bodies by just getting the 5 ton dump kits for about 2500-4000 all inclusive (maybe cheaper if you only need the power pack)

Attachments

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have put commercial dump bodies on 5 tons ,I used a stock pto with the rear accessorie drive.Come off the rear drive with a drive shaft that runs to the hyd pump.You will to fabricate some control linkages.

RangerDave

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure why electric in not an option... I would think it would be the easy way out and possibly the cheapest! I can buy a complete 10 ton set up for a 14-16 foot bed for about $2600.... If I already had all of the hoses, lift and tank - about $400 for the electric hydraulic pump.... A friend of mine has done this set up on a bunch of his 6X6's... no parts scavenging.

clutch

i drive a dump truck for a living a six axle 06 sterling. i plan on putting a winch on later and would like the pto to run a pump for a hydraulic motor to run the winch. the stock ptos are pretty pricey and i thought if i could find something cheaper i would be further ahead.

clutch

Electric is my last resort. I have the hoist mounted and all i need is a way to power it. Do those electric pumps have the capability to run a two way valve?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the stock PTO sounds expensive but have you priced a new Chelsea? I know the deuce PTO isn't available from them anymore but a new one to fit anything else will run $400-$500. You can find stock PTOs for around $300 or so. I think that's a pretty good deal as far as PTOs are concerned.

RangerDave

Electric is my last resort. I have the hoist mounted and all i need is a way to power it. Do those electric pumps have the capability to run a two way valve?

Two way as in up and down? or two different utilities - winch and dump?
I would say that it would be dedicated to just the dump and winching is best done with the pto so you can still use the low range transmission to pull your self out.

My one ton electric hydraulic powers the dump up and down and a separate hydro system for the plow gear.....

Sounds like you need to find a pto... electric would be a last resort.

To find a fan belt clutch hydraulic pump off an old tow truck would be a score and you could port as many valves as you want.... most of those run up to 30 gallons/min at 3000psi... finding a place to bracket it to in the 6by might be tricky though.... still a bit more expensive than a quality take off though...

High Pressure Hydraulic Clutch Pump — 2.32Cu In.

Each pump operates off truck or equipment engines. Mounted in line with engine belt 2 groove pulley. 7in. pulley diameter. Takes two type A 1/2in. belts. Clockwise rotation. Foot mounts with two 1/2in. tapped holes. Maximum pressure 3000. 1 1/4in. NPTF inlet, 1in. NPTF outlet.

Overall Rating
5 / 5
Rating Summary (1 review)
5 stars
4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 star

1 of 1 would recommend this product to a friend. See all reviews below Write a review

Item# 1082

Only $489.99
Guaranteed Lowest Price
Qty

In Stock
Ship Wt. 35.0 lbs

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I purchased a transfer case pto from Boyce for a great price and it included the one side of the yoke that was important for the tapered shaft that comes out.
dead on, from my experience that yoke seems to be made of unobtanium. it is possible to use a flange yoke that accomplishes the same thing.

RangerDave, where are your air tanks?

Last edited:

clutch

most stock ptos ive found were 500 and up and the t case pto is 750 and up which is why i was searching. i thought about belt drive too but didnt know how it would work. i didnt think it would be so hard to just find a pto. didnt know the spicer used a special gear that no other tranny used. two way as in my hoist has two hoses. i need flow up and down.