• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce pu a success

K9Unit

Well if some of you remember about 2 weeks ago I was finally cleared to set up a pu date to get my Deuce from the GL lot in Portsmouth, VA. I was waiting on hurricane Hanna to see what she would before making to much of a commitment. After it was all said and done I went last Wed. to get her. They were pretty busy unloading more equipment that I'm assuming will end up going for auction. One Huge grader and a couple of wreckers !! :drool: Well back to the story after I drove over 180 miles to get there I was told I showed up on thier lunch break so I had to come back 1 hr later. Had a uneventful run in with a certain individual " which those of you that have frequented that site know who I'm talking about" but as of wed. I pretty much believe I am now banned from that paticular site, atleast I was told which doesn't phase me a bit as I dont forsee myself going back there. I had to get one of the yard guys to check the engine oil because I wasn't aloud to "work" on my truck on thier lot. After getting it off thier lot I did a real good check over, not to mention she fired right up and held great oil pressure. Once everything was checked and I felt satisfied to leave we made the long journey home over 30 miles worth of bridges and tunnels... :D Only mad eone wrong turn getting back home... We all left at 5:30 in the morning and got back a little after 7:00 in the evening. really had no problems at all. After about 100 miles into the trip my truck did seems to start beating me to death but it was speed related I found a happy medium either 45 mph or less or 53 mph and over. Traveling at one of these speeds took my truck shaking away and made the trip alot more enjoyable. When I finally made it back home I finished checking it over. 8 out of the 10 tires are brand new !! Looks like I have a brand new radiator installed or it was completly recored, still has the inspection sticker on it and I guess thats why the temp. never made it past 170 the entire way home and thats when it was 93 outside. I found a new pair of wheel chocks, 2 different set of tools, lug nut wrenches, one of the batteries looks to be brand new. unopened military first aid kit, unused bottle jack. Unused road side warning/flare kit. 4-5 different inspection forms, a transfer form that came from the national guard in VT. Overall I'm pretty happy with her, couple small leaks ect. Time for me to solve some tire issuses hopefully to take care of my bad shake and then its time to put her to use... I also want to thank everyone that gave me insight and thier knowledge during this whole process !!! :beer:

K9Unit

Thanks... guess I'll start doing the easy stuff and then go the the extreme... I'm trying to post some pictures but for some reason its not letting me this time !! :(

Lorax

Nice looking truck. What was the toll to get across the bay bridge?

I've picked up many things from the Portsmouth GL location, and understand what you're talking about. A couple people there are as friendly as can be, but one person in particular would never make it if said person had to deal with the public without the gov contractor job.

Guess you got there around 11:15 or 11:30 am?

dm22630

K9Unit said:
Well back to the story after I drove over 180 miles to get there I was told I showed up on thier lunch break so I had to come back 1 hr later.
rofl

They pulled the EXACT same BS with me! They actually sat on the other side of the GLASS DOOR and stared at me & would NOT let me in. Finally, after calling the site manager, I found out about this lunch break & went to sit in my car for the following 45 minutes.

AND...

They dont tell you about this "lunch rule" until you get on site! It doesnt say anything on GLs website about a lunch break at Portsmouth :evil:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all congrats on a great looking truck!

K9Unit said:
After about 100 miles into the trip my truck did seems to start beating me to death but it was speed related I found a happy medium either 45 mph or less or 53 mph and over. Traveling at one of these speeds took my truck shaking away
I have this problem too. It seems to be coming out of the front right side of my deuce. I have checked suspension and all, but can't find anything. A friend of mine says the wheel is probably unbalanced, but this thing really starts bouncing hard enough to make me worry. Any ideas?

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My EUC for the M1010 at Portsmouth was approved today. I am getting ready to set up a pick up date, who is this individual you are talking about?

Matt

FormerNewMVGuy

kendelrio said:
First of all congrats on a great looking truck!

K9Unit said:
After about 100 miles into the trip my truck did seems to start beating me to death but it was speed related I found a happy medium either 45 mph or less or 53 mph and over. Traveling at one of these speeds took my truck shaking away
I have this problem too. It seems to be coming out of the front right side of my deuce. I have checked suspension and all, but can't find anything. A friend of mine says the wheel is probably unbalanced, but this thing really starts bouncing hard enough to make me worry. Any ideas?
Try a different tire on the front and see if anything changes, Swapping tires fixed my front end shake

K9Unit

Thanks guys !! Lorax The toll was 21.00 I thought it would end up being a little more but it wasn't. Traffic was not bad at all so that made it nice... If any of you go to Portsmouth good luck, just dont think you will be working on your truck on thier lot, you can tow it out over the scales to the other side of the parking lot. Apparently alot of people vacating the lot has left her this impression, thats all she had to say was what makes us think we can go in there and work on our trucks, and its not gonna happen, she said I'm not gonna allow, we will end up having a ayrd full of mechanics... it was at this time I informed her if that ended up being the end result it would be probably one of the best things that would ever happen on thier lot !! I guess that helped get the ball rolling... I have to deal with the public everyday while on duty and I get all the drama I need in my life during those hrs. So I pretty much refuse to engage in any drama on my off days... When I called and scheduled the appointment a week earlier no on ever said dont come between 11:00 and 12:00 so I didnt know that until I got there and I heard before hand that they like to be done by 2:00 in the afternoon so that didnt leave me much time, luckily I didnt need it !! I also met some very nice people, the young receptionist was very polite and tahts actually who I was dealing with but some people just have to go out of thier way, they have to be the center of attention at all times and they always have to try and throw in thier lack of 2 cents. I can let alot roll off my back, but when you start degrading me or when you tell me your not going to let me out of your yard when I'm trying to drive my deuce out... thats just not smart !! your little gate isn't going to hold me in *lol* come on... it could have been worse and I could of been stuck on the lot for the rest of the afternoon... If you get something there, just try and get whatever it is outside of thier fence as fast as you can and then your in good shape. and just in case... pick a nice warm day cause odviously she isn't going to leave A/C office to just go out and B**** at you... Not sure about the tires, as stated earlier in one of my posts 8 out of the 10 tires on it are pretty much brand new, not sure if the military balances them before hand but that will be the last resort... I did get the chance to properly inflate all of them, it helped a little. One tire that is brand new is a brand fidelity ?? Its on the left front so I need to check that one out. I'm going to check all the drive shafts and ujoints and then start moving tires around on it. I'll do this while I'm waiting for my SF97 to come back... what it is I'll have it fixed, Its not a little shake when you get at those certain road speeds and it starts, soon I'll have bolts working out all over the thing, time permits I'll find the problem and fix it and then I'll post my findings on here, maybe it might be able to help someone else... God knows most of you have helped me and probably most dont even know it yet. So Thanks for everyones knowledge and experience on this site !! :D

dm22630

I HATE the St. Juliens Creek (PORTSMOUTH, VA) Site.....

They are RUDE & unapologetic.....and unhelpful....and..... :evil:

A driver that was picking up 4 deuces there told me it was the WORST base that he has ever been to! He said he almost got in a fist fight with the workers from GL, who made him walk from the building to the deuces, then told him he had to get the out by himself (WITHOUT them even running....dead batts, etc). Finally they let him bring his tractor trailer in the lot, then moved pallets in front of the exit when he needed to leave & said that they werent moving them. Finally, he found a higher-up in DRMO, who flipped out on GL & the problem magically fixed itself! rofl

K9Unit

*loL* funny how that works... there are enough GL sites closer to me than that one so its not a big deal. She is lucky that she still has a gate. It is quite ashame how you can still have so many nice people you can deal with but one A** and it seems like it ruins everyone. Guess its like a dark rain cloud... I cant complain to much... just encourage anyone else that frequents that lot... I hope they have a good time... Looks like they might have some nice things coming up soon that they were unloading while I was there...

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All those places have "Base Commanders". I have yet to see one, that would not take a few minutes to talk with a civilian that was having problems on his Turf. If you take the time to go find Headquaters, you won't get too far inside, politely explaining your problems, before finding that there are Folks there, that want to see that your helped in an appropriate manner. They will talk to you, and help. You find some idiots (as above) - tell them you apparently have the wrong office - you want to know where Headquaters are.

Lee in Alaska

Ironhorse

Truck looks good. Too bad you had to deal with a jerk.

When I bought my first deuce in Smithfield, VA , I brought it home via the same route. They sure sound good in those tunnels. :driver: However, I never realized how many traffic lights there are on this side of the bridge and it seems like I got to visit most of them on the drive home!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks