• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce questions from PA

I have searched, and found nothing that totally answered my questions. I live in PA and am interested in a Duece. Here are my questions:

1) Will I need a different DL to drive a Duece in PA (IE: Class B non-commercial w/air brakes)?
2) What can I register it as and not have any usage limitations, just a normal class 5 or 6 truck?
3) Will the insurance company insure a normal class 5/6 truck?

Any other info as far as what is required to be legal in PA?

Also, what would a resonable price be on one? From what I've read, it's a good idea to double clutch them like a rig, is this true? Any other info? Thanks.

Angus1

RE: Duece questions from PA

1) you do not need another DL. The Deuce has air over hydraulic brakes. no air brake endorsement needed.
2) The lightest class you can reg. is 17,000. The truck empty wo/w is around 13,440. 300 bucks a year.
3) Ask you're ins. co.
A reseasonable price to pay? Ask you're wife.

Srjeeper

Mine is regestered as a antique, $75.00 for the plate for life, no inspections, but you can't use it to haul loads around. Insurance thru Hagerty...Full coverage on deuce & 105, $205.00 a year, no deductable, but needs to be kept in a locked garage.

MikeON

I'm in Clarion County, not far from you.

My deuce is registered as class 8, with 23,000 lb GVW. $405 / year. It hauls logs and boards, so I needed the payload.

I have commercial insurance through National Indemnity for $773 annually. Most of that is because it is used in logging, even though it is only a couple dozen loads a year. My other policies are through State Farm. They wouldn't quote me for the deuce, but only because of the logging. They said it would be no problem otherwise.

Truck inspection is 2x / year in PA. Mine passed fine the first two times, but a different mechanic is now telling me I need backup lights and a light bar in the rear. Also the parking lights have to be on with the headlights. Not sure he's right since the vehicle never had these, but I just put them on yesterday to avoid hassles and they are nice to have anyway. There is another recent thread about connecting the front parking lights to the tail light circuit.

Best of Luck

Attachments

jimm1009

I don't live in your state but I strongly disagree with the parking lights being on requirment.
Since these are made to a mil-spec and not DOT things are slightly "gray" but there are a lot of vehicles on the road that do not have parking lights and headlights on at the same time. Two examples are the early Willys jeep and the early VW beetle.
Parking lights on only when in first position on switch.
This was true from Model T's clear up through the 1970's. Just like seat belts, if it was DOT spec in the year of manufacturer then it is still legal today.
My 2.5 cents worth.
I am thinking about splicing the parking lights to the tail lights too though.
I may also put a set of amber lenses in spare tail light housings and have a better turn signal set-up too. Amber always is better than red.
Jim in Louisiana
jimm1009@yahoo.com

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have mine registered commercialy at a class six. Inspection at that weight is only once a year. I can upgrade the weight rating at any time. I have commercial insurance through Ohio Casaulty (was peerless). I don't double clutch. Never needed to. Insurance is about 575/year I think. No restrictions at all.

FYI: I've got one with PA title and tags etc. for sale if you are interested. It's a plain jane with side racks, soft top and "D" turbo that is really strong. About 41xxx miles. No heater, no cruise control, no power steering, no heated seats, no AC, no winch, no stereo, no touch screen navigation. Air shift front axel.

PM me for details and photos. I tried to submit to the classifieds section here, but I haven't seen it posted yet.

jimm1009

Reading is Fundamental. I did not notice the "Commercial" part and hereby stand corrected. I should not be "surfing" without the first cup of coffee.
Thanks Kenny. Question though...Are there not some older Commercial trucks still running that don't have the parking lights on all the time? I would think that the DOT could not force you to alter a DOT compliant truck "as produced" to newer standards. Perhaps they can. Big Gov getting too big!
I no longer have a CDL and do not keep up with all the changes.
Jim again

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Two or three points.

First of all, if a deuce is made after 1968, it is inherently NOT DOT compliant - those made before this are. This is an area where the whole hobby is going to run into trouble soon. Either from someone doing something stupid in a surplus truck and getting folks killed, or deciding to go on a license/titling "crusade" and raising awareness of this at the state DOT level - or at the DRMO level.

Secondly, double clutching any M35, M35A1, M35A2 variant is a bad idea - whoever suggest that is trying to look/sound cool, and doesn't truly understand synchronized transmissions.

Finally, every state's laws are different, and I understand that some states DO require an airbrake endorsement, even though the M35-type trucks don't have air brakes. They have power hydraulic brakes, however rather than the normal vacuum assist, they have air-assist.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't need the parking lights on with the headlights for PA inspection nor did I need back-up lights and a rear light bar. Don't have a license plate light either. A few other tid-bits that some say is needed. It passed inspection without these items. Don't appear to be required if they weren't originally with the vehicle, at least in PA according to the inspection procedure manual I have from PennDOT. For commercial vehicles. No CDL in PA if under 26,001 pounds GVW. Which they are.

Will not pretend to know anything about Fed requirements or any other state.

I did not know the guy I took the trucks to get inspected. Never met him before the first one. It was a truck shop too. Was recommended.

Just my .02

MikeON

Just got back from inspection and it passed this time. This was the guy who said I needed the light bar and the parking lights on with the headlights. I made those mods. The truck previously passed inspection twice at another place without those items, but this guy seemed positive it needed them. He wasn't so sure about the backup lights, and said he was going to a meeting where he would find out. I had added them over the weekend anyway, so I was set either way.

Both places said I needed a license plate light.

The truck doesn't have side markers. I picked up some LED markers over the weekend and will add them when I get time. I wasn't about to ask the inspection mechanic whether I needed them. I like having them anyway, and the ones I got are small and unobtrusive.

Mike

Wow, thanks for all the replies. So, from what I gather, I can

1) Drive it with a normal class C non-commercial
2) It can be a normal class 6
3) Check with insurance

Can I register it as non-commercial, since it'd be non-commercial?

Also, if I understand right, the brakes are just like normal brakes, but instead of vac (or power steering in my case), they use air?

Thanks again. Really great site. I would love to get me a Duece-and-a-half, and possibly a Chevy CUCV in the distant future.