• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Radiator Expansion

SasquatchSanta

This has probably been covered but I couldn't find it in the search nor in the TMs.

I have a question about the expansion factor in the deuce radiator.

I know if you fill it to the top it will spit out a certain amount until it's reaches the required/desired level.

Does anyone know how much it is suppose to spit out "what's normal"?

What I'm finding is that when I check the radiator when it is cold the coolant is down below the inlet neck therefore unless I add coolant I can't tell if it's a quart of a gallon low.

I just did a cold check. It took just a touch over a quart before the level came up about half way in the filler neck of the radiator.

Is a quart about normal for what they will spit out???

I guess if I checked it while it was hot I would be able to see the fluid in the neck but I hate to as I don't like messing with hot radiators.

Has anyone ever built an expansion tank?

Thanks All

tm america

mine burps out to just at or below the filler neck.seems like w=everything on these trucks needs to be topped out only when completely up to opperating temp or they will spit some back out .an expansion tank would be a good idea but it would have to be a big one since there is alot of antifreeze to expand in there .you would probably need one about 1.5 gallons or so

Junglemist

I pulled my radiator about a year ago and had it cleaned and all the broken brackets brazed back on. Since then the level has stayed about half way up the elbow in the bottom of the filler neck. It has not been spitting out at all. I almost never add any fluid to it.

Jake0147

Mine stays visible in the filler neck, but not much more than that. I do find that if the truck is on the slightest bit of an incline to the right (like the slope that is technically in my "flat" driveway for rainwater purposes... The coolant disappears all together.

All it is missing is the double sealed cap (I don't know if that's out there or not...) and the jug, and you could have a remote reservoir as most all modern vehicles do, and the check would be terribly easy...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks