• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce radiator repair!?!

airmech3839

Just wanted to get some feedback from those of you that have either had your radiators repaired or replaced! What is the pice range for either. I just want to see what the going rate is before I rip mine out. So I know wether to sell it for scrap or repair it.

Thanks guys!!

rlwm211

I would take your radiator to a good shop and ask them for their opinion. I have seen good used rads for $350 and up. There are a lot of new ones available right now as the govt just sold a bunch of them on GL recently. While a bit pricey, you would have a new radiator and know that you have many years of use ahead of you without any concerns.

RL

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have had 2 repaired by the same place. The first one leaked after I put it in, so I had to pull it and have them re-do it. The second one worked the first time. It was about $100 per radiator to have them fixed.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one rebuilt a couple of years ago for about $100 at a local shop. Pete (pctrans) has had them, as well as several others here in the classifieds, then there's Craigslist and evil-bay to check. There was a thread a while back that found the manufacturer, who would build one for a little over $850. Don't know if they still will, or if the price would be the same, but offhand there should be no sense in paying more than that. Used radiators probably should not be more than half that, even if pristine. HTH.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my radiator re-cored and a new tank mounted on top (to me, that sounds like they built a new rad....) and the shop charged $450.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It cost me $55 to have mine repaired and pressure tested at a place in back of some guy's house that looked like an EPA nightmare. But it worked and he even fixed all the mounting brackets. He will also clean and coat 50 gallon fuel tanks for $200.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had two repaier by the same radiator shop. I had them cleaned out and repaired and it cost me $75 and $85. They are working fine now.

DieselBob

If your funds permit I would purchase a new radiator while they are available and at a reasonable price, $500~$600 compared to $800+. You could then swap in the new radiator and have the original repaired and saved as a spare. 2cents

airmech3839

Lots of great feedback! Thanks guys! It has been good looking at the prices and hearing the pros and cons! Sort of talking it over in my head sort of! I will probably get a new or used and then have mine repaired like mentioned for a spare! Thanks again!!

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 2 years ago I posted the names of several manufactures and prices for new radiators. At that time {if memory serves me?} the cost was around $650.

rlwm211

When my deuce arrived at my location (Hauled by Jatonka from Ft Drum) I found the front end damage included the radiator mounts, fan shroud and the filler neak was leaking. The radiator looked otherwise new. I pulled the radiator, and using the correct flux and solder and an industrial Weller 150 watt Iron I repaired it myself. 7000 miles later it is still in great shape.

Mind you, I have done a lot of soldering in the past in the business I was in making logos and signage for corporations. That included Stainless, copper, Steel, Copper etc..... It is all about what flux etching to use and the proper solder.

Surface prep is extremely important and I would not recommend this to anyone who has not done this before because if you make a mistake you could end up at the radiator shop anyways.

RL