• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce re-paint, add winch, super single, power steering, with pictures!!!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Deuce without traces of weeping seals and some oil underneath looks so un-Deuce-like! :grin: I hope that problem will recitfy itself, once you drive it.
Great job!

bdev0071

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Here is an update on the project. I installed all new seals on the front axle, along with new silicone axle boots. Then I prepped and painted the front axle just like I did the rears. Then FINALLY got to mount up the new MRAP wheels with Michelin XZL 395/85/20 Tires. The adapters I got from "peashooter" on this site were perfect and bolted right up to the new wheels. The truck took on a whole new look with these wheels!!! The hardest part was getting them off the trailer and into the shop. I used my engine hoist with a strap, those things are HEAVY! We also got the rest of the cab painted, the gas tank and the bed. That's me in the black, and my heavy lifting buddy in the blue! Some jobs on this truck are just easier with two people I've quickly found that out!
gastank101.jpggastank102.jpgroof.jpgwheels104.jpgwheels105.jpgwheels101.jpgwheels102.jpgwheels103.jpg

Last edited:

bdev0071

Well I've working on the finishing touches the last couple weeks, a lot of little things so no good pictures, but today I installed the Air-O-Matic steering system that I recently received from another SS member! Everything came out great and the system works amazingly well! It is probably one of the best upgrades this truck has had! I ended up cutting the main air supply line that runs up the firewall on the drivers side, splicing in a compression T-fitting, then bending a 3/8 brake line to form around the ether bottle and finally attaching it to the Air-O-Matic check valve with a compression fitting to 1/4" NPT adapter that threaded right in. I think the install came out really clean. Check out the pics below of the steering system! I also removed the spring seats and filed off the 5/32" to change the caster so that the new wheels handle better, a recommendation that I read on "Peashooters" MRAP wheel adapter page. So far so good. Now time to start the head gasket job! Not really looking forward to that!
airomatic101.jpgairomatic102.jpgairomatic103.jpgairomatic104.jpg

peashooter

Good idea with the brake tubing for the Air-O-Matic Safety check valve.... its pretty crazy the number of threaded fittings they send with for you to use otherwise to attach it to the T on the firewall. I might have to do something like this especially if I ever put an ether kit on. Thank goodness for Gringeltaube and all his detailed hints that have helps so many of us out (such as his 5/32" shim modification). Good job again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks